Which PGY2s most in demand?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

evildarklord

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which types of PGY2 practice is in highest demand? I'm interested in Critical Care, Emergency medicine, and Heme/Onc. What about others like Pharmacotherapy, ID, Psych, etc.?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Which types of PGY2 practice is in highest demand? I'm interested in Critical Care, Emergency medicine, and Heme/Onc. What about others like Pharmacotherapy, ID, Psych, etc.?

hem/onc is, emergency medicine is, but not critical care...

hem/onc is, emergency medicine is, but not critical care...

Agree with the above. In addition, while I know that Psych is in demand, it seems that the job market is terrible. I have also heard that ID is so-and-so.

Once again to reiterate what many have said in the past; the demand tends to fluctuate from year to year, region to region...

Members don't see this ad :)
Wouldn't critical care be theoretically the best option (and EM second best) due to already having an established position? Most hospitals have critical care, some ED/Onc/ID. But you need multiple ICU pharmacists; do you need more than 1-2 ID/Onc pharmacists for 1 hospital?

There are tons of heme/onc positions available right now. I agree with the others though--- the job market fluctuates from year to year and there really is no way to predict what specialty will be in demand the year you are searching for a job. My advice--- don't try and over-analyze everything. Pursue a PGY2 in a specialty area that you absolutely love.

Wouldn't critical care be theoretically the best option (and EM second best) due to already having an established position? Most hospitals have critical care, some ED/Onc/ID. But you need multiple ICU pharmacists; do you need more than 1-2 ID/Onc pharmacists for 1 hospital?

Depending on the size of heme/onc services at your hospital, yes. There is so much that can be done within onc in terms of safety and financial impact. It does also depend on the practice model, of course.

Many of the oncology jobs available are places looking to expand oncology pharmacy services because their cancer center is growing and/or their current pharmacists just can't do everything.