Which offers richer opportunities upon graduation - Chicago State or Midwestern?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neema25

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that Midwestern just added a clinic site that's 5 minutes away...they have contracts with Rush and Loyola, as well as Edward and Advocate.

They also have a higher NAPLEX rate - a lot higher than Chicago State

I got accepted to both Midwestern and Chicago State and trying to decide on which one to go

I feel as though Midwestern will prepare me better..and had friends that had nothing but positive things to stay about the program and faculty.

I've talked with pharmacists and students...and some say that it doesn't matter which school you get your pharmacy degree from...basically: PharmD is a "PharmD"...

Does reputation of a school matter in the end when pursuing residencies after graduation or for job offers?

What's everyone's take on this topic? ( Current or Past Pharmacy Students of Midwestern and Chicago State feel free to dive in:)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I know that Midwestern just added a clinic site that's 5 minutes away...they have contracts with Rush and Loyola, as well as Edward and Advocate.

They also have a higher NAPLEX rate - a lot higher than Chicago State

I got accepted to both Midwestern and Chicago State and trying to decide on which one to go

I feel as though Midwestern will prepare me better..and had friends that had nothing but positive things to stay about the program and faculty.

I've talked with pharmacists and students...and some say that it doesn't matter which school you get your pharmacy degree from...basically: PharmD is a "PharmD"...

Does reputation of a school matter in the end when pursuing residencies after graduation or for job offers?

What's everyone's take on this topic? ( Current or Past Pharmacy Students of Midwestern and Chicago State feel free to dive in:)

If you definitely plan on moving out of the area after graduation, it probably doesn't matter. If not, I would suggest trying to get the opinions of current pharmacists who precept students from the Chicago area pharm schools. That should give you your answer.

I have not precepted Chicago State students since they were in the early years and maybe I just had duds, but I was not impressed. I've been mostly impressed with the Midwestern students I've precepted. They are generally well prepared and professional. I'm not sure how the residency match stats compare...but I've had good residents that were from Midwestern. Midwestern has been around since the early 90's so they have a decent alumni base in the Chicago area. Chicago State is not the nicest campus compared to Midwestern. Reputation of school matters somewhat when you are in the early years applying for jobs and residency... Once you have experience as a pharmacist it doesn't matter too much.

Reactions: 1 user