Which Post bacc/Smp would be good?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

insaiyan-premed

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Graduated this May with B.S. in Biochemistry
GPA trend is weird 3 semesters with a 2.6-2.7, 3 with 3.0-3.1 and 3 with 3.7-3.85
My last semester I took a decent amount of upper-level courses and did well. I got a B+ in Immunology though, and prereqs are mostly Bs. Didn't know I wanted to pursue medicine until my Senior year when I did take Immuno and found it invigorating me towards medicine. Right now just doing ECs and shadowing an MD near my home.
Specialties I'm interested in; oncology/hematology, cardiology, neurology and anything surgical related with either.
Because of the specialties I'm interested in I feel like I need to get into an allopathic school, so I was looking at a few SMPs that are within my traveling distance.

Temple ACMS
NYMC
Rutgers MBS
Drexel DPSM/Biomedical Studies

I know I need to do well in the MCAT and wouldn't want to waste to much time on rebuilding (aka another 3-4 years).
Studying for the GRE and then the MCAT.

Please recommend any other ones as well, or give insight to the ones I listed.

Apparently, the Rutgers SMP is infamous for not being nice to their MBS students, Temple's is very selective but for the other two, I don't much.

Drexel's seems like a good path but I'm not a URM, however, I am economically disadvantaged.\

EDIT: cGPA is a 3.256 and sGPA is a 3.056 Screwed up on a bio class that wasn't a pre-req (got a D) due to many reasons with the professor and partners I unfortunately had.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Can you total your GPA? I feel like when I look at it it should be cumulative of around ~3.2-3.3.

Is there a reason you have to be around those four schools? I feel like it is unlikely you are in commutable distance to all of them considering Philly is 3 hours from NYMC (and probably an awful drive).

Can you total your GPA? I feel like when I look at it it should be cumulative of around ~3.2-3.3.

Is there a reason you have to be around those four schools? I feel like it is unlikely you are in commutable distance to all of them considering Philly is 3 hours from NYMC (and probably an awful drive).

They're closer to home, I'm also looking into Boston's MAMS and Georgetown's SMP

Members don't see this ad :)
They're closer to home, I'm also looking into Boston's MAMS and Georgetown's SMP
I know Brandeis near Boston has a 15 month program that has a linkage with GW's medical school. Not exactly sure what the requirements are

I know Brandeis near Boston has a 15 month program that has a linkage with GW's medical school. Not exactly sure what the requirements are

Yeah, that one seems more for career changers as in non science majors. I'm gonna assume it's not for me.