Better to wait or apply late to SMP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emilyyy.torres03

Reaction score
Hello! I am currently a junior in my undergrad and I anticipate applying to an SMP to improve my record before applying to med school. I have been looking at the registration dates for the SMP programs that I want to apply to and I see a lot of the applications for Fall 2025 open in September/October 2024. I’ve heard that applying right when the application cycle begins is the best thing to do as I will have a better shot of being considered for the program. The only problem is a lot of the programs require 2/3 LORs and I only have 1 as of right now. I anticipate getting two more done this coming fall semester, but that would mean that I would have to submit my SMP applications a little later into the cycle, around Dec/Jan. Would I be better off taking a gap year and applying for the Fall 2026 cycle instead? Or should I just submit my application for Fall 2025 a little later into the cycle? I feel like I’m over thinking this whole thing, but I would hate to get denied acceptance because I submitted my application too late.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! I am currently a junior in my undergrad and I anticipate applying to an SMP to improve my record before applying to med school. I have been looking at the registration dates for the SMP programs that I want to apply to and I see a lot of the applications for Fall 2025 open in September/October 2024. I’ve heard that applying right when the application cycle begins is the best thing to do as I will have a better shot of being considered for the program. The only problem is a lot of the programs require 2/3 LORs and I only have 1 as of right now. I anticipate getting two more done this coming fall semester, but that would mean that I would have to submit my SMP applications a little later into the cycle, around Dec/Jan. Would I be better off taking a gap year and applying for the Fall 2026 cycle instead? Or should I just submit my application for Fall 2025 a little later into the cycle? I feel like I’m over thinking this whole thing, but I would hate to get denied acceptance because I submitted my application too late.
Welcome to the forums.

It's a bit early to plan to apply for SMP's as a rising senior. If I'm not mistaken, you must have completed a bachelor's degree to be successfully enrolled. So, I'd focus on pushing your current undergrad GPA as high as you can and excel in upper-level biomedical science courses. Take the time to connect with faculty and get the additional LORs you need.

SMP applications are generally open beginning in January, but the rush of applications doesn't occur until April after many unsuccessful applicants try to apply as part of their "gap year" plan. If you are trying to get in during Fall 2025, you can wait until April 2025 to submit it. Or June 2025.

Reactions: 1 user
Welcome to the forums.

It's a bit early to plan to apply for SMP's as a rising senior. If I'm not mistaken, you must have completed a bachelor's degree to be successfully enrolled. So, I'd focus on pushing your current undergrad GPA as high as you can and excel in upper-level biomedical science courses. Take the time to connect with faculty and get the additional LORs you need.

SMP applications are generally open beginning in January, but the rush of applications doesn't occur until April after many unsuccessful applicants try to apply as part of their "gap year" plan. If you are trying to get in during Fall 2025, you can wait until April 2025 to submit it. Or June 2025.
Thanks for the reply. At this point I think I am going to graduate with a 3.0-3.1 cGPA. I’ve had a lot of setbacks throughout college, especially becoming the primary caretaker for my family since my father suffered some health emergencies. I’m working as hard as I can to get that upward trend, but I’m really motivated to do an SMP with possible med school linkage. I’ve also been building other parts of my resume. I’ve worked as an MA and EMT for a few years now and volunteer as a safety officer for a local little league team. Either way, I know GPA is a big part of my application. I just don’t want to diminish my chance of getting into a local SMP by applying later in the cycle as I know many programs have rolling admissions.