Which ORDER would be best for away rotations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pewl

The Dude Abides
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just recently thought of a question regarding the sequence of away roations:

Is there a particular order in which you guys pick your away rotations? For example, I plan to do an away rotation at a prominent institution program that is literally down the street from where I live. However, I do not really wish to go to this place for residency. I just want rotate through there to get experience and hopefully a letter.

Now, would it be better for me to do the rotation at this prominent program first, followed by away rotations in other more preferred but less prominent programs, or the other way around?

I guess there are two lines of reasoning:
1) If you go to the prominent place first, you will learn a lot and really get into the groove for away rotations. After this, you can shine and impress at the other places.
2) If you go to the proiminent place last, then you can use all the other places as practice and be better off.

What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

if you dont want to go to prominant place, do rotation first. that would be my approach. because they wont expect you to know anything yet at the prominant place. but if you get experience you can shine in away places where you want to be placed.

if you dont want to go to prominant place, do rotation first. that would be my approach. because they wont expect you to know anything yet at the prominant place. but if you get experience you can shine in away places where you want to be placed.

The prominent place won't expect me to know anything yet? Is this because I've told them that they are the first rotation I've been to? Or because since they're so prominent they don't expect new students to know anything? :)

no expects students to know much about radiation even first day of residency. they will expect its all new to you.