Which LORs are most important?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrDrToBe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry for posting in the residents' forum, but I am hoping I'd get more informed responses here. I am applying into plastics this year, and here are the rec letters I've gotten so far (the first 3 are people I interacted with quite a bit, so I think they're strong letters)
1) chief of plastic surgery (worked with in OR)
2) professor emeritus in plastic surgery (pretty big name, worked with in OR)
3) chief of general surgery at community hospital, professor at my school (research adviser, no clinical experience with him)
4) chair of surgery dept (gen surgeon, haven't worked with at all but customary at my school for him to meet applicants and provide letter)

Questions:
1) Should I replace one letter with a non-surgery letter (would likely be from internal medicine doc that I worked with on the wards)? If so, which one?
2) Should I drop the letter from the chair since he hasn't personally worked with me and as such it may be a more generic letter?

Would greatly appreciate some advice; I really want to make my application as strong as possible. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

The only letters that matter at all are letters from "known" Plastic Surgeons. Community General Surgeons will have almost zero impact. The Chair of Surgery might get a little bit of interest, but the letters that we look for are from Plastic Surgeons, particularly ones with national reputation.

sorry to hijack the thread. quick question. what about current interns in prelim surgery applying for integrated plastics? my plastics letters are from my time as a medical student and i havent had the chance to work in plastics during internship. how will a non-plastics letter from my current internship be viewed then?

Members don't see this ad :)
sorry to hijack the thread. quick question. what about current interns in prelim surgery applying for integrated plastics? my plastics letters are from my time as a medical student and i havent had the chance to work in plastics during internship. how will a non-plastics letter from my current internship be viewed then?

In your case, you need an outstanding letter from your current PD. The other letters can be used, but you will be questioned pretty hard about what you've done to improve your application. In general, doing a prelim year is not considered the "optimal" way to make yourself more competitive. I would recommend finding a lab position.

The only letters that matter at all are letters from "known" Plastic Surgeons. Community General Surgeons will have almost zero impact. The Chair of Surgery might get a little bit of interest, but the letters that we look for are from Plastic Surgeons, particularly ones with national reputation.

Thanks so much for your response! Would you suggest putting 3 letters from plastic surgeons then and dropping the community gen Surg? The thing is, my only research in med school is with the gen surgeon, so none of the other letters would talk about research (my PhD advisor is a non-md and unrelated to plastics, so wasn't going to include letter from him).

Also, how are letters from away rotations looked at? I am doing an away at a big name program, and may be able to get a letter from there. Thanks for your help!

I would definitely include a letter from your away rotation. If you don't, your interviewers may wonder why it's missing.

Agreed. I've asked applicants that question several times.

Any thoughts on away rotations that are on the border or after the application deadline in terms of their utility in the application process, besides it being an extended "interview." I've had one away that I have a letter from, but will also have aways in September and October.

When you say "known" plastic surgeons.. do you include plastic surgeons that hold big positions at large academic institutions (ie program director, director of research).. and not just the handful of 20-30 or so very well revered, nationally recognized surgeons?