Is having a home program that important?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sluice

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I am a soon-to-be MS1 and having a tough time deciding where to go. I have worked in the OR for over a decade and know that I want to pursue plastics. I have been accepted to OU, and it is where I felt the most at home when touring the campus, however they do not have an integrated plastics program. They do have an independent program though. I also have an acceptance at UTMB which does have an integrated program, but is significantly farther from home in Dallas where my kids and business are located. I interviewed well at UT Houston and UT San Antonio as well and will find out about acceptances there in the coming weeks through the TMDSAS match.
Can anyone offer any insight as to where would be the best school to attend? Should I only focus on schools with an in-house integrated program, or is it sufficient to find research and mentors from an in-house independent program?

Members don't see this ad.

Would love to say it doesn't matter where you go because you're just as likely to become a pediatrician as a plastic surgeon at this stage. However plastic surgery is a small community and having mentors with a good network is a huge asset. Having been on multiple rank committees, a significant amount of candidates dont have letters from a plastic surgeon, let alone one that has a strong academic profile or one that is well known.
I don't think having a home institution with an independent vs integrated program matters necessarily aside from the fact that it would probably help you to match integrated at your home institution from medical school. If you make a strong impression you're likely to have a better shot at being retained. Many medical schools don't have a plastic program and I think the generalization is you to be impeccable when you apply. Having a personal connection to the program definitely gives you a foot in the door for any speciality match. It's can be a harrowing process regardless .

When selecting a school, I would also urge you to consider geography, tuition costs, the quality of academic experience, and how well students are matching to all specialties, not just the one you are most fond of at this time. These factors will probably correlate to how happy your are with your decision longterm.

Reactions: 1 users