Which healthcare field is worth the debt?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DocEodice

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I am currently 25 years of age. I hold my bachelors degree in health sciences and I am completely done with all of the prerequisites for graduate school of any health care career (gen chem, orgo, physics, bio, anat/phys, etc.). I'm doing much research, and I'm just not sure which field to go into. My heart is in physical therapy, but I am terribly worried I will not make enough money as a therapist to live comfortably and pay off my debt. This might sound wrong, but I am a very materialistic individual. I know that is not the best way to live, but I can't help myself, that is just the way I am. In the future I want to be able to provide for myself as well as my family, live in a larger than average home and drive a nice sports car. Obviously this will be very difficult to do on a physical therapist's salary, even with years of experience. In addition to shadowing physical therapists, I have also shadowed physicians (PMR) and absolutely loved what they do as well. I understand they make a substantial amount more than PT's make, but also they carry a lot more debt.

My main question to you: Which health care field do you recommend going into (that is a graduate level education) that you feel is worth taking on the debt for?

As it might seem, I have done much shadowing for PT and Physiatry, so I am between those two, but I am looking for your opinions on what graduate level health care field is worth the amount of debt? Please keep in mind when answering this question the work/life balance, salary, and stress.

Thanks!
Best,
Anthony

Members don't see this ad.

Based on what you have written, you will always have financial difficulties. Most physicians, ironically, worry about finances and never have any money for retirement because they live a high-consumption lifestyle. I seriously suggest you learn to control your spending even if that's the way you are. You can and must control it. I refer you to The Millionaire Next Door. As 50 Cent says, "check yourself before you wreck yourself."

If you want to make money, then be a physician. Physicians make a good income but have their net worth is low due to high levels of consumption, long hours, and no financial planning. I also recommend dentistry. You can go to school for four more years and make $160-180k as a new dentist and work in a plush office.

Status
Not open for further replies.