Which D.O. School to choose? Touro NV or ACOM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NewKidOnTheBlock3298

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Recently I was accepted into Touro NV and ACOM, but i'm having a hard time choosing between the two. They both seem like excellent programs. I am currently undecided what specialty I want to pursue, but I am leaning towards Internal Medicine. I would greatly appreciate any feedback! Also I welcome PM's if you don't want to post!

Pro ACOM
-Beautiful New Campus
-Passionate Faculty
-8k per year cheaper
-Affiliated with SAMC

Con ACOM
-Unsure of the future for Residency placements, Could be a Pro later
-New VCOM-Auburn will surely take up some of their clinical space
-VCOM-Auburn may effect residency placement as well, it's 2hrs away

Pro TUNCOM
-Prefer the city of Henderson
-Direct Flights
-New Dean this February who talked of a lot of promising new changes e.g. Specialty Paths Chosen to help with residency placement, more focus into Board Exams.

Con TUNCOM
-More Expensive
-Campus wasn't as aesthetically pleasing
-I hear their are less residencies on the west coast and this might hinder my future

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply! I'm pretty much assuming that VCOM-Auburn will be a sending out their first class very prepared. That makes me feel better about the ACOM rotation sites, but the residency will effect me more down the road. I'm from Texas so right in the middle of both. I felt comfortable at both schools, but it was from the different areas that the schools excel in. I'm sure I'd be happy at both but it's still a very close decision for me.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't give you any insight into ACOM as far as the strengths of curriculum or anything like that, but I can say I liked the look and feel of the campus.

I recently interviewed at TUNCOM and thought I would share my thoughts about the school:

-The school seems serious about board preparation, but numbers seem to say they aren't any better off than most schools (averages of 1st time COMLEX-1 pass rates are at or dip slightly below/above the national averages for the past few years). I consider myself still relatively naive in regards to how much stuff like this matters.

- The facilities are somewhat odd and a little off-putting, not that I think this is a super important factor. I like transparency and the fact that they say yah... our location is odd... yah this building used to be a warehouse (maybe a Costco), but its not something unique to TUNCOM. The schools I've interviewed at are generally transparent about their weaknesses or questionable qualities which is nice.

- Faculty is cool, students are even cooler. Again, its nice but I felt the same way about other schools.

-The new dean did a pretty poor job of selling the school and himself in my honest opinion. However, knowing a bit about his history as the former dean at KCUMB and what the students said about him I know he's going to do everything he needs to to turn TUNCOM into a top notch DO program. One of the things the students were happy about was that he's given them an entire extra month to prepare for boards prior to rotations.

So my general consensus is that TUNCOM is going to become an awesome school that people are going to say good things about in the coming years (probably going to get the same kind of praise that RVU and KCU generally get on SDN right now), but its not there yet and its going to take some time.

Just fyi, the new dean of TUNCOM was not the dean of KCU. He was just the clinical education dean. Dr Dubin is the one from RVU, TCOM, and now at KCU and his curricular devlopment team (Dr Kruse and Dr McCormick) are here at KCU.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
Just fyi, the new dean of TUNCOM was not the dean of KCU. He was just the clinical education dean. Dr Dubin is the one from RVU, TCOM, and now at KCU and his curricular devlopment team (Dr Kruse and Dr McCormick) are here at KCU.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Oh my bad! Thank you for clarifying!

Reactions: 1 user
Very accurate assessment of TUNCOM but I was more impressed with the dean. It seems as though the he is going to be quite proactive in setting up these programs and giving the students what they need to do their best. ACOM also has a month preparation for boards. Also in NV the deans program should be streamlined because he has a lot of direct involvement with them at KCU in the past. I'm completely fine with the program still building as I progress so I'll have to weigh that heavily. I love the responses! This has already helped a lot because this is a lot to think through by myself.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

ACOM also has a month preparation for boards.

I should clarify the students said he gave them an extra month. So according to them, they have a total of 2 and a half months to prepare for boards (or have the option to take that much time if they want). Also I said that I thought he did a poor job of conveying his prospects, but in his defense he literally just started as their dean at the beginning of this month.

Last edited:
Con ACOM
Recently I was accepted into Touro NV and ACOM, but i'm having a hard time choosing between the two. They both seem like excellent programs. I am currently undecided what specialty I want to pursue, but I am leaning towards Internal Medicine. I would greatly appreciate any feedback! Also I welcome PM's if you don't want to post!

Pro ACOM
-Beautiful New Campus
-Passionate Faculty
-8k per year cheaper
-Affiliated with SAMC

Con ACOM

Pro TUNCOM
-Direct Flights
-New Dean this February who talked of a lot of promising new changes e.g. Specialty Paths Chosen to help with residency placement, more focus into Board Exams.

Con TUNCOM
-More Expensive
-I hear their are less residencies on the west coast and this might hinder my future

I think ACOM is supposed to have an internal medicine residency by 2018 according to several students I have met and spoken too. I think they might be adding ER and psychiatry (??) as well.

Pro ACOM
-Beautiful New Campus
-Passionate Faculty
-8k per year cheaper
-Affiliated with SAMC

Con ACOM

Pro TUNCOM
-Direct Flights

Con TUNCOM
-More Expensive
How much is tuition at each?