Where would you pick: UVM vs University of Minnesota: Twin Cities vs BU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Where to pick?

• UVM

Votes: 13 28.9%
  • University of Minnesota: Twin Cities

Votes: 10 22.2%
  • BU

Votes: 22 48.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

cantpick

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm having a ton of trouble deciding between these 3! If you have any advice to help me choose, that would be great!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any reason specifically why?

Much better location for clinical purposes, even though UVM has a major trauma center. I also think that the day to day life would be better at BU. Even though Burlington is a smaller city its living expenses creep towards those that you would see in some what larger cities. Also the snow in Burlington can also become a hassle at times, if you are not use to living in/with the snow. Finally, I think BU's tuition is slightly less than that of UVM and its reputation is better. These are just my thoughts but with that being said both schools are amazing and I would love to go to either of them.

Are you IS at Vermont or Minnesota? Because that would make a huge difference in this decision making process. BU is very expensive, and Vermont is very expensive for OOS. Minnesota is actually not that expensive if you are OOS.

I am in state in Vermont but might be able to get Minnesota residency since I've been living/working here for a few years! I should have added that earlier!

Important questions:

- What kind of medicine do you want to practice? (E.g., surgery, urban primary medicine vs. family medicine, rural medicine)
- Do you think you might want to go into academic medicine?
- How important to you are research opportunities in medical school?
- How important is the eventual overall cost? (be sure to compare actual costs after fin aid, not sticker prices)
- Is your family in Vermont and is it important to be close to them?
- Where do you intend to practice medicine eventually?

BU all the way! It's got great clinical exposure, great faculty, and great opportunities to network! Plus it's continuously moving up in ranking!

Hi eHombre,

Thanks for your reply! I'm interested in maybe emergency med or an IM subspecialty but want to keep options like derm open. Not very interested in rural or family med. I'm not big on research right now and plan to be mostly/entirely clinical. Cost won't be the deciding factor although BU definitely will be the most expensive of these options. My family has moved to Cali and I'm not that close to peeps in VT after 6 yrs out of state. I'm really not sure where I want to end up yet

Hi eHombre,

Thanks for your reply! I'm interested in maybe emergency med or an IM subspecialty but want to keep options like derm open. Not very interested in rural or family med. I'm not big on research right now and plan to be mostly/entirely clinical. Cost won't be the deciding factor although BU definitely will be the most expensive of these options. My family has moved to Cali and I'm not that close to peeps in VT after 6 yrs out of state. I'm really not sure where I want to end up yet

I don't know too much about the other schools, but I interviewed at BU and they seem to have a great EM reputation and you'd be well set up for a good IM residency -> fellowship if you go that route. Their research opportunities has taken a bit of a hit lately with faculty leaving, from what I've heard, but their clinical training seems great, so it's good you want to focus on clinical. I'd peruse the schools' match lists from the past couple years to see if there are people matching into the kind of programs and locations where you think you might want to be.

It really sounds like it will depend on what kind of area you want to live in for the next four years. Boston's South End is a nice urban neighborhood that borders a ritzy neighborhood (Back Bay) and some more working class areas (South Boston and Roxbury), so you get the best of both worlds. Don't know much about Burlington, but I'd imagine it's more tranquil. Minneapolis is probably somewhere in between (medium-sized?), though my East Coast bias is showing.

Anyway, best of luck with your decision! :luck:

PS- Poll may be skewed because about 1/3 of the entire med school applicant pool applies to BU every year. :) :) :)

All those places are SO COLD! I would second BU for EM/IM subspecialties if cost is not an issue, because you will see a wider variety of patients and have research opportunities if you one day decide you're interested. I think it has a better reputation than the other two schools.

Status
Not open for further replies.