Where, why, why not and how?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mavrick

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:) Hi guys. I am an EMT here in the UK. I am hoping to move out to the States next year and continue with the "Good work" :) (Red tape etc allowing!)
Although I have travelled most of California and some Arizona, (Plus Orlando this coming July :) ) my knowledge of the rest of your fine country is limited.
I just wanted to hear from people to find out about where they work and live. Where do you recommend I apply to? Are you happy where you work? :) Where should I avoid? :(
From what I can gather so far I need to get registered in the State that I am applying to. Can you give me any info on that?
Feel free to message me if you dont want to reply here.
I am used to working in a busy city. We receive on average between 1000 and 1200 calls a day here and serve about 3.5 million people. (Small fry to some of you out there but it keeps me busy.)
So, I dont mind hectic or just right.

PS. This is a great site so keep up the good work.

Members don't see this ad.

I may be grossly mistaken but I do not know of many large systems in the US that still hire EMTs to run on ambluances. Most of the larger systems are moving to fire based and the amblances are staffed by 2 paramedics. The smaller cities and third services may be your best hope.

As for certification I am not sure that any of the states would take a froeign certification. You may want to contact NAEMT or National Registry, both may be able to better help you with those needs.

Are you an EMT or a paramedic in the UK?

From my experience with the training programs, the paramedic courses there are about the equivalent in length as our EMT-Intermediate courses.

It is highly unlikely -- but possible -- that you will be able to get "reciprocity." You will more than likely need to retake your EMT training here.

Cheers!

Members don't see this ad :)
Each state is different here in the US. They all have there own regulations re: accepting certifications from other areas and each state sets their own protocols re: BLS (basic) and ALS (Advanced) care. I assume many states have info online, but then again this is the goverment we are talking about so it may be difficult to find.

I have been a volunteer EMT for 18 years and am currently a first year med student. I have always worked in Connecticut. I did my undergraduate university education in Boston quite awhile ago and have family there. Boston is a great city and they do not have a fire dept. EMS system. The Boston area is quite expensive to live in, but it is a great city and you will be near lots of great places. The other downside besides the cost of living is that the winter months can be quite cold and nasty at times.

Where are you in the UK? I love visiting London and have seen a bit of the coutryside as well. I will be in London in Aug. for a couple of days - just long enough to get to Marks and Spencers to pick up some bras and knickers for myself and a few British friends. The quality here in the US in that department just can't compare!

Without a knowledge of the different 'ranks' or 'levels' of pre-hospital emergency training in the UK, it's tough to say. I can tell you that although we have a national body that grants certification of skills (the NREMT http://www.nremt.org), we get our licensure from our individual state boards. The NREMT exam is the written test, and most states will have a practical skills test. Many of the skills tests used by the individual states are the same standardized version.

When an EMT or Paramedic moves from one state to another, they need to meet the requirements of the new state. Often that means taking one or more of the tests again -- even if it's the same as the test that was taken in the original home state. The 'reciprocity' issue varies.

http://www.nremt.org/EMTServices/emt_cand_state_offices.asp

So it sounds like you'd do best to become (nationally) registered and (state) certified in whichever state will be home to you; contact the state board and see about how they view reciprocity if it's a program from the UK. Contact the NREMT to see if they have guidelines about it. Because so many of the states follow the NREMT's lead, it's fairly certain your state board will be curious to know how the NREMT feels about the issue. Good luck!

When I was in the UK, most "EMT" training programs were full-time 3 week courses. Maybe it's changed since then.

beanbean, for some reason I thought you were a guy. Hopefully you aren't a guy after making that bras and knickers comment!

No, I am not a guy. I can prove it - I have given birth three children!

Speaking of guys and knickers - my husband was in the UK at least a dozen times this past year. Could he go to Marks and Spencer and get me some? Nope. I even offered to let him take a 'sample' along, but he was afraid that would be the trip he got chosen for an airport bag inspection! He is however capable of picking up femminine supplies is he is doing the grocary shopping - very impressive!

Thanks for all the replies so far.

My job is an Ambulance Technician as opposed to Paramedic. Here the difference is getting less and less. Paramedics here give a few more drugs than techs. Intubation and canulation is done by para's too. Its covered in the tech training as they say we will be doing that too in the not so distant future. Due to the increased level of training and work that Tech's do here, there are proposals to make everyone a Paramedic and have different levels. Grade's 1 to 5 or something like that. Its all a bit in the air at the moment.
Our Ambulances are crewed by two people. They can be either Technicians, Paramedics or a combination of the two. We have solo responders too and again they are either a Technician or Paramedic. Hours vary at location but are generally 8 hours or 12 hours.

Out Technician training in my part of the world starts with 12 weeks full time. 3 weeks are advanced and emergency driving, 1 week is just an induction to the service and the other 8 weeks are the tech training.
From there we have a book which gets filled in and signed off over the following 12 months. This is just on the job and progressive training. We have an assessor who comes out with us every three months and they check on our progression and address any issues etc. Courses come up regularly too. I have just put in for an update 2 day course on major incidents. (Seems appropriate somehow!)

The NREMT site looks good and I will write off to them tomorrow. Nationally registered then State registered sounds the way for me to go. As for State exams etc.....I just need to choose a State!!!! Ones with seperate Fire/EMT sound better.

Thanks for that site beanbean. Have book marked it and will check on the various state departments as and when I narrow down some States.
I live in Birmingham right in the middle of England. Let me know when you are over and I will try to come shopping with you. :D

Keep the suggestions coming :) If anyone has any questions for me, just fire away!.

Mavrick, you guys have changed the training requirements then. When I visited Birmingham in 97, the training requirements of West Midlands was 3-5 weeks of full-time study (can't remember which one it was, I'm thinking it was 3 for tech and 6 for paramedic).

Is Matthew Cooke still your medical director at West Midlands? Very nice fellow.

Cheers!

Hi Southerndoc

Our medical director is a Mr Iain Robertson-Steel (saying that, many things have changed lately in management so it might be someone else by now!). 97 was before my time so I am not sure where Matthew Cooke went.

Training has got much better here in the West Mids. They try to focus on some "real life" education now and not just what's in a book.

I think the Para course is something like 17 weeks in total! It consists of some class, some hospital and in between you are back out in the field. I guess they are trying to fit everything in without disrupting the duty rosta too much.

HNS said:
I may be grossly mistaken but I do not know of many large systems in the US that still hire EMTs to run on ambluances. Most of the larger systems are moving to fire based and the amblances are staffed by 2 paramedics. The smaller cities and third services may be your best hope.

As for certification I am not sure that any of the states would take a froeign certification. You may want to contact NAEMT or National Registry, both may be able to better help you with those needs.

AMR, the company I work for, is the largest EMS provider in the United States and provided EMS for large cities on the West Coast, in Colorado, Texas and many other areas. Most, if not all MICU trucks have 1 paramedic and 1 EMT (rarely an EMT-I) including in Texas, where I work.

OSUdoc08 said:
AMR, the company I work for, is the largest EMS provider in the United States and provided EMS for large cities on the West Coast, in Colorado, Texas and many other areas. Most, if not all MICU trucks have 1 paramedic and 1 EMT (rarely an EMT-I) including in Texas, where I work.

Additionally, In City of New York, BLS units are 2 EMT's and ALS units are 2 Paramedics. More BLS units than ALS units in the system at any given time usually. So there are EMTs being hired here in NYC as well.

Hey Mavrick,

I would definitely recommend that you come to Boston and apply to work at Boston EMS. I took their EMT class and the training is fantastic. They're very serious about the work, relatively busy, and are not linked directly with the fire department. The people are great and Boston is an amazing city. It does get cold, but that just means you get more calls.

Feel free to email me if you want more info. And, if you have time, would you mind telling me what you know about foreigners getting certified as EMTs in the UK? I'm planning on moving to London for grad school and would love to do some EMT work at the same time. I'll be certified in Massachusetts shortly, but have no idea where to look for UK certification guidelines.

Thanks!
Sasha

Mavrick said:
:) Hi guys. I am an EMT here in the UK. I am hoping to move out to the States next year and continue with the "Good work" :) (Red tape etc allowing!)
Although I have travelled most of California and some Arizona, (Plus Orlando this coming July :) ) my knowledge of the rest of your fine country is limited.
I just wanted to hear from people to find out about where they work and live. Where do you recommend I apply to? Are you happy where you work? :) Where should I avoid? :(
From what I can gather so far I need to get registered in the State that I am applying to. Can you give me any info on that?
Feel free to message me if you dont want to reply here.
I am used to working in a busy city. We receive on average between 1000 and 1200 calls a day here and serve about 3.5 million people. (Small fry to some of you out there but it keeps me busy.)
So, I dont mind hectic or just right.

PS. This is a great site so keep up the good work.

Winston-Salem, NC may be a city that your are interested in. NC, for the most part, has separate county-run EMS and Fire programs and by far Forsyth County is the best. The breadth of patient acuity and call volume is very good and the service is cutting edge. Give them a look and contact one of the training officers and I am sure they would be glad to help you with your questions with reciprocity and NREMT standards. The website is www.fcems.com.

Good luck
Dan

beanbean said:
No, I am not a guy. I can prove it - I have given birth three children!

Speaking of guys and knickers - my husband was in the UK at least a dozen times this past year. Could he go to Marks and Spencer and get me some? Nope. I even offered to let him take a 'sample' along, but he was afraid that would be the trip he got chosen for an airport bag inspection! He is however capable of picking up femminine supplies is he is doing the grocary shopping - very impressive!

I would just love to catch the look on their faces when they pull out a dildo, leather knickers, and a thong from a mans suitcase thats traveling alone... :thumbup: :laugh: :cool:

Yeah, reciprocity is going to be difficult. It's even sometimes hard to get it between states within the US.

I've worked in both San Diego and in Boston. The city EMS is not part of the FD. Most of Boston and surrounding area are moving toward P-B trucks (paramedic-basic). So EMTs have a good chance of working and they go on scene for paramedic level calls (they are required to drive though for transport). If you don't want to work in the city, Cataldo Ambulance is the best bet of all the private services. They have 911 contracts and thus you don't end up doing transfers all the time.

In San Diego, the EMS (run by Rural-Metro Corp) is sort of associated with the FD, but basics are still able to work. A lot of times the EMS runs on its own with no Fire showing up on scene. I don't know of any private companies that get a fair amount 911. If you are up for doing transfers...

Neither of these systems use Intermediate level...so you'll probably at least start out as a Basic.

Basically, the systems around the country are very very widely different. Don't think it's going to be easy to get a broad range of info about enough places. And also check with the OEMS of each state that you are considering to see what kind of requirements you'll need to do to get your certification transferred (if it's even possible).