Where should I go after I get certified?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hoisanjai

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an EMT-B student @ Malcolm X living in Chicago and in about a week I will have finals for my course. After I passed and take the NREMT and get certified. What companies should I be looking into. Which companies will give me the most experience and money until summer when I go into Paramedic School?

Members don't see this ad.

I am an EMT-B student @ Malcolm X living in Chicago and in about a week I will have finals for my course. After I passed and take the NREMT and get certified. What companies should I be looking into. Which companies will give me the most experience and money until summer when I go into Paramedic School?

Well, I don't know if they're out there, but traditionally, AMR seems to pay the most out of all the private ambulance companies...they also usually have the 911 contract. Not sure what you're looking for as far as experience, but at least paywise, AMR's probably your best bet.

AMR eh...? I live in Chicago, so I guess I might have to move to the burbs. Madison county eh or St. Clair County. Far away from home. What do you mean they have a 911 contract? theres no other ambulance company in chicago that has 911 contract?

Members don't see this ad :)
Arvin you stupid ...go to ATI:smuggrin:

AMR is no longer in the Chicago area. I saw one on Lake Shore Drive maybe ten months ago, but I think they were just passing through on a long-distance transport to WI or something. Depending on where you live, your options for the privates are ATI, MedEx, Superior, Advance, Advantage, Precise, Trace, or Vandenburg. ...or "ER Ambulance" :laugh:. I think they all start their EMT-B's around $8-10/hr. If you're interesting in "seeing stuff", try to find one in an EMS system that permits one medic/one EMT crews.