Where can I take an EMT-B class in Orange County, CA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

exon111

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Does anyone know where I could take an EMT-B Class in Orange County, CA this summer? I live in Huntington Beach and I'm willing to drive a little way, but preferably not too far (like not more than an hour). I know OCC was offering a summer class but they canceled it. I'm a junior in high school right now and I turn 18 in September if that affects anything. I haven't taken a first responder class but I do have a Red Cross CPR certification. I'm also an Eagle Scout if that counts for anything.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am not saying your wrong but my old partner was from CA and they were a EMT-B.. So I dunno...

I am not saying your wrong but my old partner was from CA and they were a EMT-B.. So I dunno...
It is the same certification level, but in California it is not called EMT-B, it's called EMT-I. The level of Intermediate, which everywhere else is called EMT-I, is referred to in California as EMT-II (and rarely used).

http://www.emsa.ca.gov/emt1-p/emt1-p.asp

Another option is Link2Life. http://www.link2life.org/pricing.asp#EMTonlyCLASSESFOR19992000

While I can't judge the quality of their education, they are much more expensive than the ROP classes.

Technically speaking, the state views the entry level of EMS as EMT-I (one), but the reality is that I've never heard anyone call themselves an EMT-One and my county cert says EMT-Basic. It's really no different than the states that decide to call their EMT-Bs just "EMTs" and drop the basic part.

i am in the same boat as you, i am a junior at irvine, i am taking the santa ana college one which is only 5 weeks tues-thurs 8am - 3:35pm, i think you have to be 18 though im not sure. good luck!

you do have to 18 years old to take the Santa Ana College EMT class. My advice to you is to take the ROP EMT course, I took it through ROP and it was great.

Another option is Link2Life. http://www.link2life.org/pricing.asp#EMTonlyCLASSESFOR19992000

While I can't judge the quality of their education, they are much more expensive than the ROP classes.

Technically speaking, the state views the entry level of EMS as EMT-I (one), but the reality is that I've never heard anyone call themselves an EMT-One and my county cert says EMT-Basic. It's really no different than the states that decide to call their EMT-Bs just "EMTs" and drop the basic part.

Link 2 Life is a good program if you already have a background in the EMS field - They teach very quickly and it's more about getting the certification than learning the material IMO. Granted, I already had a BS in physiology and had worked in the ER when I took the accelerated program. If I hadn't I don't think I would have been able to really learn the material in that quickly.

It is one of the more expensive programs, but keep in mind that price includes the book, a stethescope and bp cuff (yipee!). Also, all of the teachers were experienced fire fighters so they could give you some real world knowledge rather than just repeat what the book said.

:)

Last edited:
hey what's up? just to answer to a question I saw on here. California does have EMT BASIC and we also refer to it as an EMT-1A as well there is rumor of a EMT-I but for now that's just rumor.