Geographic Signaling

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BuildingMyOwnLuck

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I'm an international student (currently on an F1 in a US med school) and I don't really have any strong ties to any specific regions, how should I go about with the geographic signaling? I have always moved throughout my life (countries/schools/cities) so I'm not picky on location as long as the program is decent, but I've heard that people get the majority of their invites from the areas they signaled since it shows willingness to stay there. So should I:
1. Go with no preference and explain in my app somewhere
2. Signal to 3 regions with the highest total amount of psychiatry programs that I have a decent shot at
3. Or something else

Any input is appreciated. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I matched last year, as an US-IMG (so kind of the opposite situation, I suppose).

I did end up getting most of my interviews from regions that I've signaled in. But it's hard to say exactly how much it contributed, since these programs were either IMG-friendly programs from the East Coast or from California where I had personal ties to.

Also, use your program signaling well! It's difficult to get interviews in general as an IMG, but I got 5/5 interviews from my signals.

However, I ended up in a program that I did not signal to, nor was it even in the region that I geosignaled. But, that's a different story!

Reactions: 1 users
Just be your confident self. If you like an area say so. If geography doesn't matter, but something else about a program appeals to you, say so. There is no need to pretend to be something you are not.
The poster is asking about a new and specific ERAS feature in which the applicant literally chooses out of a list of regions, or signals no preference, or can leave blank.

All match data is challenging to interpret, but there is a consistent correlation between signaling and invites. I would go with either your strategy #2 or choose regions you genuinely prefer. The regions are large but the USA is gigantic and culture can vary a lot within it--even if you are ultimately fine with anywhere geographically, surely you have preferences even if it's just the weather.

Members don't see this ad :)
This feature is too new to know how to recommend anything.

That said, geography has played a role at some programs for decades. When I interviewed at Duke, the PD asked me in my interview why no Texas applicants ever rank Duke high enough to end up there. The PD even said that I was the only Texas applicant on the entire interview schedule that year as it was generally deemed a waste of time. This could all be a lie to test my response. In truth, I found the residents and the PD I met to all be weird. I’m not saying all Duke graduates are weird. I’m just saying they presented ones that were weird which contributed to me not wanting to go there.

Other programs did ask why I wanted to go to their program which can include geography I guess.

I also think that many programs won’t care about geography. A program should have enough quality things to offer that applicants aren’t just choosing them because of geography.

If I'm an international student (currently on an F1 in a US med school) and I don't really have any strong ties to any specific regions, how should I go about with the geographic signaling? I have always moved throughout my life (countries/schools/cities) so I'm not picky on location as long as the program is decent, but I've heard that people get the majority of their invites from the areas they signaled since it shows willingness to stay there. So should I:
1. Go with no preference and explain in my app somewhere
2. Signal to 3 regions with the highest total amount of psychiatry programs that I have a decent shot at
3. Or something else

Any input is appreciated. Thank you.
I recommend #2. It will alter your ratio of interview/apps. As an IMG, you (especially) need to get the interview. #1 is a no-gain situation for you.

I'd do number 2, however I'd signal the area of your medical school + the next 2 areas with the highest number of programs. Most of my interviews were within a 4-5 hour drive of my medical school (in all directions) and I'm almost 100% certain that geography related to where I went to med school played a role.

I have no idea what this new feature is, but imo it would seem almost like a red flag if programs you apply to near your medical school see you didn't signal that region as a preference.