Where to get EMT badge/shield

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

veeolist

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey does anyone know a good website to get an EMS/EMT shield from? Yes, I'm new, and yes, I really just want it for bragging rights because I think it's cool. =) Ideally I'd like a customizable one so I can put my EMT # on it. A New York State one would be cool, too. Thanks for your advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Be careful, you can get in trouble for possessing a badge without authorization from your department (if you are affiliated with one). Often time you need an authorization letter from your department (on letterhead) to obtain a custom made badge. But if you can get this, I recommend Blackinton. They do the badges for our department and they are excellent quality, albeit you will pay for it through the nose.

You could also buy a simple cheap badge that says Emergency Medical Technician on it. Just do a google search.

Members don't see this ad :)
leumas614 said:
You could also buy a simple cheap badge that says Emergency Medical Technician on it. Just do a google search.

there is a company in san diego, ca called dynamed that sells these. many in my initial emt class got them. about 35 bucks or so now with leather wallet.

For bragging rights, and because you think it's cool: emedpa and ISUSteve speak the truth. Badges exist, and can be purchased.

If you don't need it for doing your job, or if you want other people to think you're cool: just stick with the subtle NREMT or state sticker in the back window of your car, or better yet, nothing. Let people find out from mutual friends that you're an EMT.

If it's to impress eligible people of the gender you prefer sleeping with, then get a little pendant with your number engraved on the back. That can be a fine conversation starter.

It's also to impress the police officers who pull you over :)

izibo said:
It's also to impress the police officers who pull you over :)
Especially if you buy and improperly utilize the blue (or red depending on what state) lightbar as newbie EMT's and FF's tend to be so fond of doing. ;)

emedpa said:
hey, I don't need that :)

I would be careful with the badge if you do not have approval from your department. Many places frown upon things like that. Of course, when I was a new EMT I wanted one too. My department used to issue badges to the members and we wore them on our uniforms when on duty, occasionally it helped when we responded to calls whlie off duty. However, after several incidents we decided that they were more of a liability than an asset. People involved in illicit activities did not often take the time to read the badge and even when they did, they were not at all sure what our role was. People were much more open about telling us what meds/drugs/activities/ they had been engaged in when we decided to do away with them...

www.galls.com

I had a friend who got a badge that said, "Ammolamps Man". The rank plate said "driver". His nametag was one of those ones "Serving Since (xxxx year)" ones, and it said 6AM.

'zilla

Doczilla said:
www.galls.com

I had a friend who got a badge that said, "Ammolamps Man". The rank plate said "driver". His nametag was one of those ones "Serving Since (xxxx year)" ones, and it said 6AM.

'zilla

Now that is the kind of badge that I want...awesome...

I dont understand why you guys are saying you shouldnt make a custom badge. If your a new york state emt like me you sure know that everyone of them has the same badge that the police have with the new york state emblem on it and instead of saying city of new york police it says emergency medical technician, and on the bottom you put your number.

Members don't see this ad :)
benne911 said:
I dont understand why you guys are saying you shouldnt make a custom badge. If your a new york state emt like me you sure know that everyone of them has the same badge that the police have with the new york state emblem on it and instead of saying city of new york police it says emergency medical technician, and on the bottom you put your number.
Do people buy these on their own, or are they issued by their fire departments and EMS agencies?

Our department only issues the badge to officers, because we have to wear it on our dress uniforms at certain functions. We are specifically prohibited from carrying them in our wallets.

The people who buy a badge on their own are simply glory hounds who are trying to compensate for anatomical insufficiencies or social inadequacies.

dont need to take the meaning of a badge so seriously man...EVERYONE of them have it and carry it...all it is is a form of I.D. its not saying you work for anyone its just saying you are an emt

Yeah, but it's a form of ID that only marks you as an overzealous glory hog in most cases. I've been in EMS for going on 10 years and you know how often when I've stopped to help someone has demanded ID (and this includes in NY)- ZERO. Well, I've had cops ask to see my certification card, but never a badge because it means nothing to them since anyone can by one without difficulty.

Flashing it during a traffic stop is a guaranteed way to get a ticket in 98% of jurisdictions- especially if you were doing something aggregiously wrong (95 in a 35).

A badge means nothing- especially the stock ones from Galls. Flashing it aggressively around people who are drunk and don't know what they are looking at is a good way to see a charge of impersonating an officer marring your police records (that happened to one of my former coworkers just so you know).

Anyhow, have fun with your new toy and I hope it gets you lots of tail from all the badge bunnies you are sure to attract with it :rolleyes:

well i dont even own it anyway..all im saying is I dont see the big deal if someone wants to buy it..especially the customized ones, not stock galls. Also you dont flash it at a traffic stop, the officer will se it when you open your wallet and he'll ask you what it is and you then explain. Everyone I asked that has done this has gotten out of the ticket.

My thoughts exactly...

I also suggest that Benne911 take a look at that too

hahaha you people make me laugh. I dont even own the badge but i can guarantee all of you do and wont admit it. Remember its a piece of metal nothing special

LMAO You said it: "Remember its a piece of metal nothing special".

I've got a badge from every EMS and or Fire Agency I worked all. There all hanging on a wall in my office. If you want a badge go ahead and get one.