EMT Course Need Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hublot

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I plan to take an EMT course this fall at a local college. I am really interested in learning all the new things the course has to offer. However, it is pricy but doable. I am wondering if it is worth taking, though. I plan to go to medical school, hopefully. Would doing this course, exams, and passing look good on my application? I truly want to gain all the experience, but, again, it is pricy, and I want to know if it would truly be worth it in the long run. I know I could just volunteer and get research, but would doing this be better? Please let me know soon. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello!

I plan to take an EMT course this fall at a local college. I am really interested in learning all the new things the course has to offer. However, it is pricy but doable. I am wondering if it is worth taking, though. I plan to go to medical school, hopefully. Would doing this course, exams, and passing look good on my application? I truly want to gain all the experience, but, again, it is pricy, and I want to know if it would truly be worth it in the long run. I know I could just volunteer and get research, but would doing this be better? Please let me know soon. Thank you!
Fellow EMT here. What state do you reside in? Depending on that answer, you can actually get your EMT education for free.

As for whether it looks good for medical school? Absolutely. Some will argue that becoming a scribe will look better, but different strokes for different folks. I’m not a stationary person in the slightest, and chose to pursue a field that best suited my personality: EMT

Fellow EMT here. What state do you reside in? Depending on that answer, you can actually get your EMT education for free.

As for whether it looks good for medical school? Absolutely. Some will argue that becoming a scribe will look better, but different strokes for different folks. I’m not a stationary person in the slightest, and chose to pursue a field that best suited my personality: EMT

Thanks for the reply. I am in Illinois. It's about $1,500. Are you planning to go to medical school as well?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply. I am in Illinois. It's about $1,500. Are you planning to go to medical school as well?
I can’t verify this 100%, but I’m fairly certain that if you volunteer through a nonprofit organization that provides emergency care in a small service area (or areas), you’d be eligible for tuition-waived EMT training.

The only thing, is that this will take considerably longer than the traditional pay-your-own way. You’ll probably need to volunteer for a minimum of a month before your volunteer squad will sign off on a voucher. Then at that point, you’ll have very little control on where you obtain your training or at what times... I personally chose to pay my fees to avoid the inconvenience. $1500 is actually pretty cheap compared to what I had to pay lol. So, I’d say, if you have the dough cough it up. Or....become a scribe which is free, and will give you tons of inpatient experience.

Don't pad your resume with courses you don't intend to use.

Reactions: 1 user
A basic EMT course should be relatively inexpensive, unless you're taking at a a for-profit institution.

x

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user