CNA switch to EMT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Liveforheavend

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm currently a licensed CNA, i have been for about 2 1/2 years. I'm working on going back to school to find a better paying (and hopefully less physically demanding) job. I'm not gonna lie, my goal is to find a job i can enjoy and make decent money, but for the least amount of schooling possible. I want to do something other than CNA, and now is not soon enough lol.
I've been looking into becoming a radiology technician, which will take at least 3-4 years. I've recently started looking into EMT and it looks like i could do that in half the time. Although I'm not positive the differences between EMT and paramedic?
It looks like EMT's only make a few dollars more per hour than i currently am, so I'm not sure if it's even worth it, especially if I'm considering furthering my education afterward?
Thoughts and advice would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think you can get better pay and job prospects in a short amount of time as a medical assistant. EMTs in my area get minimum wage and a bit more as an er tech. Paramedics can admin drugs and advanced ALS interventions, but there are Advanced EMTs in some states that are between EMT basics and paramedics. I think MA programs are around 6-9 months long but not entirely sure. I am sure they are less than imaging tech programs.