ER Tech advice and going to school.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Underwoa

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it feasible to become an ER Tech and work as one while I continue to take a regular class schedule? What kind of free time and scheduling am I looking at? I plan on applying to Medical School in about 3 years and know I won't have time to work much then. So I figured working as an ER Tech in the meantime to get hospital experience and "doctor-relations" would be good.

I have my EMT-B certification right now. Do I need to also get a phlebotomy certification and BCLS/ACLS or anything else that would qualify me or even put me ahead?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Generally you won't need a phlebotomy certification, they will train you if you need it. Some hospitals do prefer to hire Paramedics rather than EMTs for their ER techs. Hours wise you'll have to see what works best for you while going to school.

Do you know about hospitals in VA that do not require CPT or if they provide training for it?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm from Va and may be of some assistance. First, what is CPT?

You may be able to work for a medical transport company instead of as an ER tech, at least at first. That way you can build up some experience, then apply for a hospital position.

When I work my ER tech job, I work 12+ hour shifts and I am busy the entire time. It is a tough job physically (moving, running around constantly, lifting people, etc.) but other than that, probably nothing that you can't handle.
As a tech I only needed BLS (which I have for my EMS job) and they taught me phlebotomy, IV starts, Orthoglass splinting, visual acuity testing, etc.

Experience in EMS will be helpful, and you won't be as lost at first. However, there are many techs that I work with who have never had healthcare experience, and for them it is a much larger learning curve.

Good luck :)