when to take the DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

madawi26

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quick question...when is a good time to take the DAT in spring/summer/fall? I was planning on taking it at the end of july and apply early for the fall 07' class. Thanks so much:)

P.S.-I was thinking of taking my DAT at the end of July 06' and applying for the fall 07' class. Is this too late? Thanks again!!!

Members don't see this ad.

madawi26 said:
Quick question...when is a good time to take the DAT in spring/summer/fall? I was planning on taking it at the end of july and apply early for the fall 07' class. Thanks so much:)

P.S.-I was thinking of taking my DAT at the end of July 06' and applying for the fall 07' class. Is this too late? Thanks again!!!

The earlier you take the DAT and submit your application the better. However, I think July should be fine. (If you have so-so grades and experience, I'd try to get it in sooner so that you can definitely make the first round selection process.)

I took my exam near the end of August and still got interview invites.

Hope this helps.

chordata said:
The earlier you take the DAT and submit your application the better. However, I think July should be fine. (If you have so-so grades and experience, I'd try to get it in sooner so that you can definitely make the first round selection process.)

I took my exam near the end of August and still got interview invites.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for the response. Did you get into any of the schools that you applied to? Do you mind me asking you what r ur stats? (GPA/Science GPA/DAT Score?) Thank you soooo much!
p.s.- How much dental experience do you have???

Take it in late Spring. I took mine in May because I realized that if I didn't do too hot, I still could take it again without losing a competitive edge.

I took my DAT at the end of summer (August) of the year before I started my application process. I am applying for admission in 2006... so I am doing my application during summer of 2005... and I took DAT during summer of 2004. I think it works out well since you can spend time studying for the DAT/taking a prep course during the beginning/mid summer. Of course you should also take into consideration whether or not all your required classes are completed. It's definitely a plus that you don't have to worry about DATs along with the actual application process, which is also time consuming. Good luck~