When to take Step 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jakesaw

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I'd like to bring it up again and specifically here on the Caribbean board.

I realize this is program-specific, but would appreciate information that generally applies to most programs. For simplicity I'll just list a few questions and would greatly appreciate any feedback: (BTW I will be applying for Family, Psych and perhaps a Transitional year for the 2007 match).

1. Must I take step 2 CK by Dec 31 2006? How about CS?

2. Am I likely to be offered interviews without having taken Step 2 CK? How about CS?

3. If interviewed, would it be likely to be offered a position without a) having taken or b) having received results of both exams?

Thanks for reading.

Members don't see this ad.

jakesaw said:
I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I'd like to bring it up again and specifically here on the Caribbean board.

I realize this is program-specific, but would appreciate information that generally applies to most programs. For simplicity I'll just list a few questions and would greatly appreciate any feedback: (BTW I will be applying for Family, Psych and perhaps a Transitional year for the 2007 match).

1. Must I take step 2 CK by Dec 31 2006? How about CS?

2. Am I likely to be offered interviews without having taken Step 2 CK? How about CS?

3. If interviewed, would it be likely to be offered a position without a) having taken or b) having received results of both exams?

Thanks for reading.

As a carib graduate, it helps to have the results of all exams in before you apply. CS isn't as neccessary to have the results in because most pass it but there are people that fail it and the results can get delayed. If you have not passed all these exams and are not ECFMG cert by the time of the match - you will be withdrawn automatically.
Best advice is to have them all done before you apply, especially if step 1 is low or has been failed.
Take step 2 CK towards end of 3rd year or in summer between 3rd and 4th.
CS can be taken any time during 3rd year, but to decrease anxiousness levels, be sure to have lots of clinical experience under your belt. It is easy but can make you nervous because it is akward.

You will probably get interviews without results of CK and most definitely without results of CS. Antidotal evidence: I had 5 interviews before my step 2 CK results were in and within 48 hours of submitting my CK results to the programs, I was up to 10. Ended up with 12.

You will not be offered a pre-match without these exams. Some programs might suggest it but you can't sign the contract (or they would be stupid) to sign you before the match without all your results in.

Thanks Penguins,

That was exactly the info I was looking for...Much appreciated :cool: