Do SGU students have to take USMLE? What if you want to just stay and be a doctor in the Caribbean?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ToeTag1999

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
So I have a competitive GPA (roughly 3.6 for both science and overall) but bombed the MCAT with 495.

Everyone says to retake MCAT and not go to SGU because then if you fail your USMLE you are screwed out of loans and can't practice.

But what if I do not want to practice medicine in the USA? Yes this is my home but to be honest I'm sick of it here. I've vacationed plenty in Jamaica and would not mind just straight up moving to Caribbean forever.

So can an MD from Caribbean allow me to practice in that country? Are the residencies in Caribbean less competitive? Like can I be the Chief of Surgery there? And since it's a third world country do doctors even need malpractice insurance?

The money probably isn't good but if I made surgeon there I would expect at least somewhere close to 100K in US value. Is that close to accurate?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
This is his second Carribeean thread. And one of many of misinformed ideas about podiatry, PA, and medical school. In his initial Carib thread his rationale for going into podiatry was to fulfill a foot fetish.

I've vacationed plenty in Jamaica and would not mind just straight up moving to Caribbean forever.
Living and working in Jamaica is nothing like vacation there.

Reactions: 3 users
This is his second Carribeean thread. And one of many of misinformed ideas about podiatry, PA, and medical school. In his initial Carib thread his rationale for going into podiatry was to fulfill a foot fetish.
I'm here to learn from people with knowledge. If you don't want to help that is on you, you have to live with that decision.

Many SGU students are not allowed to take the USMLE. It is one of the (many) ways they winnow out students for whom they lack clinical sites.
The Caribbean is not a country btw...

well yes SGU is in Grenada but I assume there is some type of Caribbean layover that would allow me to practice in Jamaica, at least I would hope so. I mean goodness the degree is expensive you figure the least they can do is allow you to practice in any Caribbean country

please don't ban me. the ONLY reason I brought up the foot fetish as a rationale is because I cannot and would not (I have enough tact) not to ask this to the Pod I shadowed.
But yes I wanted to know if I was alone in choosing a career because I like feet and if this was the case with other Pods and they were more satisfied with this career path as a result.

I'm here to learn from people with knowledge. If you don't want to help that is on you, you have to live with that decision.
Why are you trying to troll me. This is your third thread reposting the same stats with a different slant to get people to respond to you by adopting another ignorant stance to get responses.

Is this really fun for you. It is a pretty degenerate way to burn your time by wasting good intentions from other people thinking you actually need assistance.

Why are you trying to troll me. This is your third thread reposting the same stats with a different slant to get people to respond to you by adopting another ignorant stance to get responses.

Is this really fun for you. It is a pretty degenerate way to burn your time by wasting good intentions from other people thinking you actually need assistance.

nope I'm being legit on absolutely everything on my own soul may I burn in hell if I've stated ONE lie on this forum.

I am not trolling perhaps just ignorant on a lot of things. I am currently in process of applying to 3 Pod Schools, SGU, and an AA school. With intention of retaking MCAT in Spring OR possibly switching gears to take DAT if my practice MCAT do not go well. I think the lack of physics and extra focus on orgo/math on the DAT is more suited to my strength, especially with it supposedly being a more content driven exam.

But all of this is neither here nor there. My question was about if I can practice in Grenada with a degree from SGU, simples as that. And what salary do they make on average?