When to start job hunting?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lcarter103

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm in my last few weeks of my 3rd year of vet school and starting to look ahead to my final year. After graduation I hope to relocate to a very specific area of the country and work as a small animal practitioner. There's several job openings in the area right now that sound great for me, though I realize a year in advance is too early to apply for them. But it got me wondering when would be a reasonable time to start replying to ads next year.

So for current 4th years or recent grads - when did you guys start your job hunt?

Thanks!

L

Members don't see this ad.

not a grad or a fourth year....but this would be a great time to ask for informational interviews. be honest that you know that they need to fill positions now, but that you are interested in learning about how they practice, what they are looking for in an associate, etc. Generally, when someone is looking is a good time to ask (and file away for future reference) because they have thought about it recently. You can also ask what would make a new grad appealing in their opinion, and what support they will be able to offer to a new grad. maybe even scope out an externship.