Job hunting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KayLM

Reaction score
Hi all!

I am about to start on clinics and I am super excited about actually getting to put my knowledge to the test and finally get to work with animals! That being said, I am a little stressed about job hunting... I know some fourth years who got hired to their future jobs during the summer before their fourth year and was wondering if that is typical? I have just been browsing jobs in my area and found THE perfect mixed practice that is hiring (and has been for a few months, it is kind of outside the city in a small town so I don't think many people want to apply there) Is it too soon to start a line of communication since I wont graduate until 2021?

Thank you for all your help! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Absolutely not too early. If you have any time off during your clinical rotations, try to set up an externship or something there so you can see if you actually like the clinic (I have found that sometimes things look perfect on paper but realistically are completely different). That would be the best way to start the line of communication in my opinion.

Reactions: 2 users
Everyone does the job thing at their own pace. I had classmates who had contracts signed in September, while I’m just signing one this week, and then I have other classmates who are now beginning to apply. Some even like to wait until after they know they have passed the NAVLE or not. It depends on you and what you’re comfortable with. I absolutely agree with reaching out to this practice now to establish a good networking relationship at the least.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Absolutely not too early. If you have any time off during your clinical rotations, try to set up an externship or something there so you can see if you actually like the clinic (I have found that sometimes things look perfect on paper but realistically are completely different). That would be the best way to start the line of communication in my opinion.

Yeah, maybe I could go out there a couple weekends in a row and see how it goes. Great idea! Thank you!

Everyone does the job thing at their own pace. I had classmates who had contracts signed in September, while I’m just signing one this week, and then I have other classmates who are now beginning to apply. Some even like to wait until after they know they have passed the NAVLE or not. It depends on you and what you’re comfortable with. I absolutely agree with reaching out to this practice now to establish a good networking relationship at the least.

Thank you! That helps calm my nerves a little bit about finding a job. I will start reaching out to them and just see where it takes me. :)

Hi all!

I am about to start on clinics and I am super excited about actually getting to put my knowledge to the test and finally get to work with animals! That being said, I am a little stressed about job hunting... I know some fourth years who got hired to their future jobs during the summer before their fourth year and was wondering if that is typical? I have just been browsing jobs in my area and found THE perfect mixed practice that is hiring (and has been for a few months, it is kind of outside the city in a small town so I don't think many people want to apply there) Is it too soon to start a line of communication since I wont graduate until 2021?

Thank you for all your help! :)

I think I signed my contract in late Feb/early March of my fourth year, and some people didn't sign until summer so you have plenty of time :)

Like others have said, it's impossible (and inadvisable) to fully judge a place based on an ad alone. I would strongly encourage you to visit with potential jobs (and apply to a few that fit the bill, not just one) and get a feel for the place before signing with them. Keep in mind that associate veterinarians are a hot commodity right now and you will almost certainly have the upper hand when it comes time to get a contract together for any job. Don't be afraid to use that advantage, even if it's a place you really want to be :)

Reactions: 1 users
I didn't start job hunting until graduation. so, mid to end of may. Set up interview dates at multiple practices in the region of the country I wanted to practice and did a week and a half traveling and decided end of may and signed contract then.