When should i take my mcat?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kobethegoat24

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So i need help, I am graduating this july of 2018. I am thinking of taking 2 gap years (applying the summer of next year). I had originally planned on taking the MCAT this summer after graduating but some have told me thats not enough time. So I was planning of taking it december of 2018 (next year). However, by that time I will be working full time hopefully. I was wondering if that is enough time to study for MCAT or should i push the date back farther?
Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

So i need help, I am graduating this july of 2018. I am thinking of taking 2 gap years (applying the summer of next year). I had originally planned on taking the MCAT this summer after graduating but some have told me thats not enough time. So I was planning of taking it december of 2018 (next year). However, by that time I will be working full time hopefully. I was wondering if that is enough time to study for MCAT or should i push the date back farther?
Thank you
Spring 2019. Applications open in June so to be most competitive you should have your score before applications open.

Your MCAT SHOULD stay valid for 3 years but if you're doing a two year gap what happens if you don't get accept the first cycle? You would need to retake the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you

You really need to look at your schedule and figure out when you'll have the most time to devote toward preparation. That's when you want to do it. If you have all summer 2018 off, that's more than enough time to prepare. With that said, I would take it no later than April 2019, so that you can shift your attention to getting your app ready.

Thank you
If you are applying the summer of next year, then you have to take MCAT at about this time or before you apply.