When is the earliest PGY-1 would start?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vokey588

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
When is the earliest you've heard of PGY-1 starting (including any orientation)? When do most PGY-1 prelim/transitional years begin?

Members don't see this ad.

My internship (and some others I know of) started 1 week before July 1st, with 4-5 days of orientation before that.

The upside was the week I had off before July 1st residency so I could move between internship and residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
My medicine prelim year started on July 1 but I had orientation starting about 10 days before.

If you could potentially match at an advanced program in a different location than your PGY1 year, I would contact each of your possible intern year programs and ask about start/end dates and vacation policy. It'd be a shame to have to use your vacation time to move.

My medicine prelim year started on July 1 but I had orientation starting about 10 days before.

If you could potentially match at an advanced program in a different location than your PGY1 year, I would contact each of your possible intern year programs and ask about start/end dates and vacation policy. It'd be a shame to have to use your vacation time to move.

Like I have to... Plus there's a good chance that week of vacation will be mandatory orientation time at PGY2 place as well. It's just luck of the draw. Situation is not kind for people that have to move in between places.

But to actually answer your question, mine was July 1st with the week before being mandatory orientation (which I missed two days of on account of being in Brazil). I've heard that most programs seem to be starting at least a week before July 1st now.

Last edited:
Another vote for possibly before July 1st - we started June 19th. Two days of orientation and started rotations the 21st. Plus is that if you start early, you end earlier and have a little more time before you have to be at your advanced program (likely July 1), so it builds in some time to move without using vacation.