Price transparency enforcement starts next week for Colorado hospitals

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chartreuse Wombat

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

"Beginning on Wednesday, hospitals in Colorado will be prohibited from pursuing debt collections against patients if the hospitals aren’t in compliance with federal price transparency laws."

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 7 users
Politically, can't think of a more perfect state in the union than Colorado. A great blend of policies from across the political spectrum

Last edited:
Politically, can't think of a more perfect state in the union than Colorado.
1660062476324.png

hmmmmmm.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Why do we even have price transparency

Which politician got that whole thing started
I'll take the bait, broken clock and all

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users
I'll take the bait

Obamacare: yes
Trump Price Transparency:
Classic Tv Nostalgia GIF by Sony Pictures Television

Related...

"...fewer than one-third (20 of 63) were fully compliant with the current law."
Speeding ticket level penalties don't impact behavior I'm guessing

Unless we are talking Finland or Switzerland

For many of these NCI centers, the penalties just don't have much bite relative to the revenues these places are pulling in

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Should be decriminalized, still think it should be regulated however, probably more so than alcohol or cannibis
Why do you think that?

- deaths caused by psilocybin?
- health related risks of psilocybin?
- no health benefits from psilocybin?

The comparison to alcohol is … uh … terrible. If alcohol and tobacco is legal, pretty much anything should be legal.

What do you actually know about psilocybin vs the other drugs you mentioned? Just curious… appears to be some certainty about this that maybe I don’t know about?

Why do you think that?

The comparison to alcohol is … uh … terrible. If alcohol and tobacco is legal, pretty much anything should be legal.

What do you actually know about psilocybin vs the other drugs you mentioned? Just curious… appears to be some certainty about this that maybe I don’t know about?
If we made alcohol and tobacco illegal there’d be half as many cancers

So let’s not go overboard

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
Why do you think that?

Don't know much about it at all... Hence my caution. But I'm certainly willing to learn. Just worried about people going on trips before they get behind the wheel i guess but that's a concern with the others also

Certainly should be decriminalized like mary Jane at least, but many researchers and advocates I've read have said it should have some regulatory framework

Last edited:

"Beginning on Wednesday, hospitals in Colorado will be prohibited from pursuing debt collections against patients if the hospitals aren’t in compliance with federal price transparency laws."

It’s bull****. Price transparency is garbage. The patients can’t afford it and then insurers don’t want to pay.

Besides major credit agencies aren’t even using medical debt to factor into credit scores. It’s as if they want patients to give even less of a **** about medical bills. Good luck collecting anything from a patient ever

Payment upfront for elective cases is where this is heading. Followed by more out of pocket payment.

Reactions: 1 users
Payment upfront for elective cases is where this is heading. Followed by more out of pocket payment.
Quite common around here, esp with commercial plans putting out huge OOP deductibles before the insurance will pay anything towards a bill. Less of an issue with Medicare where 80% is coming from the govt

health insurance companies already exist as essentially banks. their job is to leverage capital on the market - they just need to have as much of peoples money as they can, even if they pay most of it out for health care expenditure. as long as they can have it long enough they can invest it in high dividend fashion.

they should take this farther and buy and sell medical debt like a commodity.

Reactions: 1 user
Don't know much about it at all... Hence my caution. But I'm certainly willing to learn. Just worried about people going on trips before they get behind the wheel i guess but that's a concern with the others also
Alcohol is the winner when it comes to driving fatalities and injuries…

Reactions: 1 users
health insurance companies already exist as essentially banks. their job is to leverage capital on the market - they just need to have as much of peoples money as they can, even if they pay most of it out for health care expenditure. as long as they can have it long enough they can invest it in high dividend fashion.

they should take this farther and buy and sell medical debt like a commodity.
The most common form of “insurance” is when the insurer just takes a transaction fee and the employer pays the bill. That’s why insurance companies love high prices as much as hospitals.

The worst actors are the hospitals, our employers. Number 2 is the drug companies.

Reactions: 1 user