When do you hear about interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

n2cooloh

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I submitted my final set of PGY-1 acute care residency applications to large tertiary hospitals (from Cali to Massachusetts and others in between) just prior to the new year. Any thoughts on when you typically hear back from directors or coordinators of the programs about on-site interviews? It'd be great if current or recent residents can respond. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I submitted my final set of PGY-1 acute care residency applications to large tertiary hospitals (from Cali to Massachusetts and others in between) just prior to the new year. Any thoughts on when you typically hear back from directors or coordinators of the programs about on-site interviews? It'd be great if current or recent residents can respond. Thanks in advance!

They start about one week after the program deadlines. Most interviews will be set by the end of this month.

They start about one week after the program deadlines. Most interviews will be set by the end of this month.

Agree with the above. The programs I have experience will look at the applicant pool as a whole before offering interviews. It can take a bit to get it all organized.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the response cycloketocaine and karm12!

I think it just depends on how organized the program directors are. For example, one program I applied to had a deadline of Jan 15th, and I received an invite on the 17th. Others with Jan 14-16th deadlines have not invited me for an interview yet, but at least acknowledged that my application was complete and apps will be under review over the next 10-14 days.

My program has a Jan 15th deadline and we sent all our invites out today. Almost half of the invitees had already accepted the interview within a few hrs of the email being sent. We also have a wait list in case someone declines the invite.

I'm going to give it til February because any invitation beyond that is just crazy... and kind of last minute. I wouldn't want to be in an environment where the committee would let you know so last minute for an interview.

Though... if it was my first choice that did this I would say "heck yeah, I'm getting on the next flight out. See you tomorrow morning" =)