Whats your schools attrition?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KingJ

I Was Justin You
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I did a search and found some old threads about some schools (AZPOD and others) having 50% attrition, is this true? Sounds pretty high.

Would anyone mind posting the school they go to their attrition/graduating rates?

Thanks...

Members don't see this ad.

nm

Last edited:
I'm not sure what other classes attrition rates have been at AZPod but our class (Class of 2012) has only lost one student so far (from like 35-40 starting out). I believe that the class above us started with 36 and now have 25, but of those 11 students that are not in that class now, 5 have joined our class (either extended study or they took a leave of absence). There have been some changes to admissions and the orientation process that appear to have helped retain students, so if there was a 50% attrition rate, it is a thing of the past here.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
to the best of my knowledge ocpm 2012 started with 119 and we now have 107 after the first semester has finished. which brings me to...if you are a borderline student or have any doubts about the rigors of a professional medical education, you should rethink throwing a nonrefundable 40k check away. you will get accepted to pod schools with low stats, and they will take your money if you cannot handle it.

I think attrition rate varies every year at every school... just like board pass %, avg matriculant stats, etc.

For Barry, it seems to be about the norm that about 60-75 start each year (new students + 2/5 year) and roughly 40-55 graduate annually.

Pod schools, kinda like Carib med programs, do more of the selectivity after admission, not before like MD/DO...
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=7414090#post7414090http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=7414090&postcount=5

Scholl 2012 started with 93 and we are currently down to 90. However, we just got our final grades for S&F (physiology, histology and cell biology) and Clinical Anatomy so if the school wants to start cutting people they have enough grades to do so now.

Scholl 2012 started with 93 and we are currently down to 90. However, we just got our final grades for S&F (physiology, histology and cell biology) and Clinical Anatomy so if the school wants to start cutting people they have enough grades to do so now.

what would they cut you at? like if you got a couple C's or what?

No. they will not cut you out because of a couple of C's. They will cut you out for multiple failed classes and no signs of improvement. If you fail one class there is a chance to remediate the class in the summer, but if you are failing multiple classes, you will probably be kicked out.

I know I posted this in the other thread, but Barry class of 2012 lost around 6 people.

Thats a lot since we only had like 60 starting out.

Naah they will wait till Neuroscience grades. Failing that class will bring the count to magic number of "3" (1- anat, 2 -physio/histo & usually people fail 3-neuro).If you fail 3 or more classes in Scholl its either repeat the year or bye bye. Even Lower Anatomy can also be pain if you are not on track with the course. it gets very hard to catch up.

I'm personally interested to see how many people Manion actually fails in Anatomy. When I looked at the statistics from the earlier tests it appeared that as many as 50 people (out of 300) could potentially fail the course.

Some upperclassmen have told me that the school for whatever reason fails people quite liberally during these courses, but almost everyone passes remediation.

It takes a big pair of balls to fail people out in a recession. Especially when you really need the money.

Should be interesting.

Fail the course, remediate it, and contiune to pay tuition the next few years? Makes sense to me.

I'm personally interested to see how many people Manion actually fails in Anatomy. When I looked at the statistics from the earlier tests it appeared that as many as 50 people (out of 300) could potentially fail the course.

Some upperclassmen have told me that the school for whatever reason fails people quite liberally during these courses, but almost everyone passes remediation.

It takes a big pair of balls to fail people out in a recession. Especially when you really need the money.

Should be interesting.

Why do so many people fail? :confused: I've heard that practicals can be rough (especially when the bozo in front of you won't move to the next station). 50/300 fail? I better start studying NOW! Any tips for a future Schollite?

Why do so many people fail? :confused: I've heard that practicals can be rough (especially when the bozo in front of you won't move to the next station). 50/300 fail? I better start studying NOW! Any tips for a future Schollite?

I think almost every student at every school will tell you the same thing: DON'T START STUDYING YET! I wanted to study a little before I started, but the information that you learn pre-medical education is nothing like what you will learn while you are here.

Do what you have been wanting to do over the summer! When August rolls around, you will be locked into academia for 7 years. :scared:

I think almost every student at every school will tell you the same thing: DON'T START STUDYING YET! I wanted to study a little before I started, but the information that you learn pre-medical education is nothing like what you will learn while you are here.

Do what you have been wanting to do over the summer! When August rolls around, you will be locked into academia for 7 years. :scared:

Thanks. I was just kidding though. (No, really..I was!) :p I have enough to worry about this semester.

The best advice I can give you (which surprisingly sounds a lot like regular old common sense!), is to try to do well from the beginning. I know it sounds stupid, but a lot of students got in trouble after they bombed the first two anatomy exams. Then the third exam was on tons of material and very hard, and they were too far gone to bring their grade back. Some were notified before the last test and final that they didn't need to spend much time on those tests, because they were remediating no matter what. If you come into the semester ready to work, you'll be fine.