Essentials of Clinical Reasoning Tools, whats a good place to buy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grifgin

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Stethoscope \Pocket Snellen eye chart\Sphygmomanometer\\Otoscope & Ophthalmoscope Diagnostic Sets (OPTIONAL for first year, but required in ECR second year)

2nd year students, know of any good place to buy these? (is the school bookstore the best option?)

Thanks again

Members don't see this ad.

I'd go allheart.com for general diagnostic instruments and scissors, etc. Gill Podiatry is good for pod-specific clinical instruments (nail clippers, etc), and your class will probably set up a group purchase on those.

This is the sphyg you probably want.... adult size:
http://www.allheart.com/wa509872cb.html
There are obviously a billion stethoscope choices. I prefer the cardio ones to classic lines because I hear the sounds louder in any situation (heart sounds, BP, etc).

You definitely want a stethoscope for obvious reasons and sphygmomanometer for BPs and ABIs, but I'd certainly skip the oto/opthalamo if at all possible for cost reasons. If you even ask most MD students, they'll tell you that you'll never really use their oto/opthalmo after Phys Diag lab, so just try to share with a lab partner or classmate. Run a search or look at the sticky in the clinical rotations forum (link below), and you'll see what I'm talking about. It's also too bulky to carry around on rotations... they generally provide them in hospitals/clinics when you need it or during your 3rd year int med rotations.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=189673

I think that, as a pod student, the $300+ you'd spend on an op/oto is MUCH better spent on a vascular doppler. Both clinical instruments can give a wealth of vascular info on a patient, but you will barely open the scope and it takes quite awhile to get good at while you can use that dop every single day in the clinics and it doesn't take long to learn.

For a pocket Snellen, buy Maxwell's Pocket Medicine for about $5-7 on Amazon. It's great for lab values, charting, etc and has a Snellen on the back. Probably buy 2 copies so you have a backup since it's so cheap and useful.