Attrition Numbers - Actual Stats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spooge

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am just now finding out how many of my classmates will not be returning next semester. This number is way above the actual attrition rate that the school states. So, I want the real numbers to all of the schools. No more B.S. from adcoms or administration. I would like to see the actual numbers. I know for a fact that many of my classmates would not have started if they knew the actual numbers. I want the prepods to appreciate the gravity of the decision that they are undertaking.

Barry - 2011

86 started
63 remaining

86-63 / 86 = 27% attrition in the first year

Members don't see this ad.

why so many? I mean come on that first's year loan of debt alone would keep me to stay. or what they couldnt handle it?

Any idea why so many dropped out? Was it too tough for them or they just didn't like it?

Members don't see this ad :)
Keep in mind that Barry does accept a lot more students with lower stats compare to DMU.

Also, Barry doesnt have a retake system like most other pod schools.

Keep in mind that Barry does accept a lot more students with lower stats compare to DMU...
That's true, but all of the pod schools still have appreciable attrition rates. AZ and DMU probably have the highest avg stats because they have relatively small incoming classes and high standards, but it's not as if they won't still dismiss accepted students who can't cut it in the classes.

I've posted on this before, but pod school is not like allo. In MD programs, a ton of apps flow in and very small % of those who apply are accepted, but 90+% of those who matriculate will graduate.
http://www.aamc.org/data/aib/aibissues/aibvol7_no2.pdf

In DPM programs, the acceptance rate is higher since the apps aren't as numerous, but the attrition rates are consequently higher. This is also the case with Carib med programs. The end goal and result is usually still the same: only the qualified people will graduate. The people who fail classes and are dismissed probably wouldn't have passed boards or future courses anyways, so they mised well cut their losses and be done with it.

Another thing to remember is that, although most dismissals are probably academic, there are other reasons people leave: health issues, family, conduct dismissals, financial, etc.

I am just now finding out how many of my classmates will not be returning next semester. This number is way above the actual attrition rate that the school states. So, I want the real numbers to all of the schools. No more B.S. from adcoms or administration. I would like to see the actual numbers. I know for a fact that many of my classmates would not have started if they knew the actual numbers. I want the prepods to appreciate the gravity of the decision that they are undertaking.

Barry - 2011

86 started
63 remaining

86-63 / 86 = 27% attrition in the first year

That's really interesting, spooge. Thanks for the info. :)

in my class we've only had 2 drop out this first year so far, which from what I understand has been significantly lower than recent history. That being said, we do have a fairly large amount of students who will be remediating classes this summer and our statistics might get a little more grim after that. I guess we'll know in the fall!

in my class we've only had 2 drop out this first year so far, which from what I understand has been significantly lower than recent history. That being said, we do have a fairly large amount of students who will be remediating classes this summer and our statistics might get a little more grim after that. I guess we'll know in the fall!

Hey,

How many Scholl P1's need to remediate Gross Anatomy? I heard that you guys received less of a curve than the MD students.

I know for a fact that many of my classmates would not have started if they knew the actual numbers.[/B]

What has this to do with Pre-pods or applicants. People who drop out are people who couldnt handle the load. Why would artiration rate deter a good student from joining a school. If one studies good and takes his profession and courses seriously he wont have to worry abt all these.

The next step is to compare attrition rate with board pass rate for the schools and come to a logical conclusion.

In my opinon intelligence and work ethic had little to do with the majority of folks I waved bye-bye to in my student career. I've also seen some of the laziest students in my academic career chilling away, living large.

In any event I always advise any student to get informed with what old materials are out there in the hands the few podiatric brainiacs.

In my opinon intelligence and work ethic had little to do with the majority of folks I waved bye-bye to in my student career. I've also seen some of the laziest students in my academic career chilling away, living large.
What do you think it was then? Luck?

cool_vbk

It is like walking into McDonalds knowing that 1 out of 4 patties are green and fuzzy with some other funk on it and you want to order two Big Macs. The small difference being these big macs cost you forty grand. If you know that you could go to another McDonalds and only 1 out of 12 patties are green then you would probably go to the Mcdonalds with the smallest percentage chance that you would bite into a green patties. (i would hope)

Members don't see this ad :)
What do you think it was then? Luck?

lol i know. intelligence and work ethic ARE the essence of being successful in any field. who cares about the out liers? you're always going to have lazy people who hardly study and ace everything just as you will have those who study non stop and fail. but generally speaking, intelligence and work ethic wins by far.

cool_vbk

It is like walking into McDonalds knowing that 1 out of 4 patties are green and fuzzy with some other funk on it and you want to order two Big Macs. The small difference being these big macs cost you forty grand. If you know that you could go to another McDonalds and only 1 out of 12 patties are green then you would probably go to the Mcdonalds with the smallest percentage chance that you would bite into a green patties. (i would hope)

the problem isn't with the way the hamburgers are cooked, it's that they are not ordering top quality beef in the first place.

Temple: started with 80, down to about 65 (guestimate)

QUOTE]

You should state the year that you believe these stats are from because things change year to year. For the class of 2011 at Temple, we haven't lost anyone I know of but there are maybe 2-3 that might not be in my class next year after all is said and done with our classes this semester. That is a big difference from that stats you quoted. It's probably not a good idea to gestimate either. It can be misleading. The Thread wanted actual numbers, not guestimations.

Temple: started with 80, down to about 65 (guestimate)

QUOTE]

You should state the year that you believe these stats are from because things change year to year. For the class of 2011 at Temple, we haven't lost anyone I know of but there are maybe 2-3 that might not be in my class next year after all is said and done with our classes this semester. That is a big difference from that stats you quoted. It's probably not a good idea to gestimate either. It can be misleading. The Thread wanted actual numbers, not guestimations.

Make Temple sue him for representing untrue facts abt the school and misleading applicants:cool:

Make Temple sue him for representing untrue facts abt the school and misleading applicants:cool:

http://images.encyclopediadramatica.com/images/c/c9/Good_Luck_I%27m_Behind_7_Proxies.jpg

EDIT: fixed, sorry bdaddyjolley

Cut me a little slack OSUDDS. Dont make it look like I posted that ridiculous statement when you do your quotes. :)

I graduated from Barry in '07 and saw firsthand how they accept substandard applicants knowing that they have no shot at graduating. We started with 56 students in '03 and when we graduated in '07 there were 39 of us, of which only 21 were from our original beginning class!

Barry also tends to push the 5- or 6- year program on students who spend too much time at the beach and fall behind academically. Kinda sad, huh?

If someone is dismissed for poor academic performance from podiatry school, is it possible to get accepted at some other podiatry school? What are the options for the person in such case ??

Yes, in my class we had a few go to Barry and the Ohio schools. It's funny, but one of the Scholl students that failed 2 years in arrow ended up with a 4.0 in Ohio. I'm not dissing Ohio, but that's pretty funny!

Yes, in my class we had a few go to Barry and the Ohio schools. It's funny, but one of the Scholl students that failed 2 years in arrow ended up with a 4.0 in Ohio. I'm not dissing Ohio, but that's pretty funny!

That is funny, what's the deal there? :eyebrow:

That is funny, what's the deal there? :eyebrow:

No idea how one could get a 4.0 in pod med school...but I believe Ohio has a deal where people with the highest GPA get half tuition for that semester. Some students were talking about it when I did the internship there last year.

in a situation like that i would be very wary of cheating and studying of old tests

I talked to a few students at OCPM, and they said 1st year is really easy. Maybe we should have chosen OCPM!

Higher gpa = better chance at getting a better residency!:laugh:

I talked to a few students at OCPM, and they said 1st year is really easy. Maybe we should have chosen OCPM!

1st year isnt that hard,(keep in mind, its comparatively) but seriously a 4.0 is impressive. keep in mind, most everything you should have seen in undergrad - biochem, anatomy, micro, physio, ect.

i would venture to say that most of the schools (barry, cali, nycpm, temple) are just as easy

For the sake of argument, let's say that ^ was factually true. (I neither agree nor disagree). PD's would probably know, so an A at a school that was deemed "harder" would be worth more than an A at OCPM.

better yet, if youre really so worried, transfer to OCPM.
see if you get a 4.0. i challenge you!

For the sake of argument, let's say that ^ was factually true. (I neither agree nor disagree). PD's would probably know, so an A at a school that was deemed "harder" would be worth more than an A at OCPM.

i agree with you - if this is true, i think residency directors would notice, so you shouldnt worry about it

also, its pretty much the biggest amount of BS to get on SDN and say " i heard DMU is so easy. I would get a 4.0 there for sure. lololololol"

I was joking!
I thought we were joking around! lol
I hope I didnt offend anybody!

I love ocpm and lois lott! :thumbup:

I was joking!
I thought we were joking around! lol
I hope I didnt offend anybody!

I love ocpm and lois lott! :thumbup:

lol :laugh:

"In order for the SDN community to realize you are joking, your post must be followed by no less than 3 emoticons.

One of the emoticans may be replaced with "Just Kidding!!!" or [/sarcasm]. However, if "Just Kidding!!!" is used, it is imperative that the three exclamation points are added, to avoid confusion." - Stolen from some other SDNer. :D:):love:

lol :laugh:

"In order for the SDN community to realize you are joking, your post must be followed by no less than 3 emoticons.

One of the emoticans may be replaced with "Just Kidding!!!" or [/sarcasm]. However, if "Just Kidding!!!" is used, it is imperative that the three exclamation points are added, to avoid confusion." - Stolen from some other SDNer. :D:):love:

lol.....nice clarification.