What's wrong with my Spitz...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

luna120

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am hoping that someone can offer their opinion as to the problem I've been having with my American Eskimo.

She is is 12 years old and has been acting irritable, tail down, back/spinal pain and seems kind of thin. We have brought her to the vet and he did some tests with the following results:

Creatine: 6.1
BUN: 100

We've got some other tests on the way and I have my differentials but I was wondering if with these results ALONE one is able to makea diagnosis and treatment plan (and if not what other tests should we do?)....

Please help...

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

In a nutshell, knowing only BUN and creatinine, one cannot make a diagnosis. These are renal function parameters, but can be elevated in many different situations, anything from simple dehydration to severe renal failure.

Basic work-up for this dog would be CBC/Chemistry/UA + chest and abdominal radiographs. Complete PE and neuro exam. Perhaps other imaging modalities such as a myelogram to evaluate the spinal cord and Ultrasound though those would be warrented based on the results from the initial work up and history and physical. Other tests to go from there.

Joanne
(not a vet yet, just a vet student)