What's the best route?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Haitian Rat

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!
I have had the chance to join this great Veterinary B.S program-

https://www.mercy.edu/degrees-programs/bs-veterinary-technology-pre-veterinary-medicine

This would be great preparation for Vet school. However, looking at the curriculum, it's easy to see how specialized it is in animal science(of course). I've been thinking whether or not this would be the best route for because lots of aspiring med students change their desired specialization and I'm afraid that this may happen to me. There's also the chance that these classes can negatively affect my GPA. As of now, Veterinary medicine is the only medicine that draws me, but this could change in the future. So here's my question.
Should I take this chance and gain this specific knowledge or should I go with another major where I can take my desired classes and have a better chance at keeping my GPA high?

Members don't see this ad.

I think its important to always have your eye on veterinary school if that is your ultimate goal but dont focus on it too early. In college, I majored in molecular biology and minored in chemistry but I was one class away from minors in art history and literature. I took those classes because I was fascinated with those subjects and I'm so thankful I did, because it made me a well rounded person. I also went on to get my Masters in public health microbiology and took classes in disease eradication, epidemiology, computer programming, and policy. By taking a wide range of classes and taking a more 'circuitous' route, I discovered I was interested in many different fields of veterinary medicine. I realized I wanted to be involved in global health and research emerging infectious animal diseases, rather than one on one patient care. At the end of the day, veterinary medicine is just as much about interacting with people as it is interacting with animals. Taking classes in other subjects and exploring other routes will make you a more interesting person, will teach you how to connect with more people and, at the end of the day, will make you a better veterinarian. Because I've explored other paths, I've found that veterinary medicine was my path. You will learn everything you need to know to be a veterinarian in vet school but until then, allow yourself to explore everything! So I can't really say if you should go in this direction or not. Its a great opportunity but for me, exploring other academic interests was valuable to my path to vet med. PM if you want to chat more about it! Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
In addition to what @southcpupvet said, I strongly recommend getting a degree in something that will 1) lead to a backup career if you change your mind or don't get into vet school and 2) will minimize debt.

I don't know what tuition is there, but I'd imagine that going to your state school and majoring in biology or animal science would lead to less debt, more career options, and the same chance of getting into vet school if you work at getting experience. On that last note, I find it a little alarming that they specifically avoid giving any numbers about how many of their students get into vet school- definitely press for an actual figure if you want to pursue that program.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Major in something interesting to you that encompasses all (or at least the majority) of vet school pre-reqs.

If it is interesting to you, you will do better. And regardless of how the whole vet school thing goes, it will lead to open doors.

I am currently undertaking a similar program (BS in veterinary technology) as a second degree. It's a program that would normally prepare you to become a licensed veterinary technician, only with a Bachelor's/4yr rather than the typical associate's/2yr degree. I was going to link you to a post I'd made about the pros-cons of taking such a program as a route to vet school, but then I noticed this on the page you linked:

The major concentration of Pre-Veterinary Medicine is not accredited by the AVMA-CVTEA. Graduates with this major concentration do not qualify to take the Veterinary Technician National Examination (VTNE).

So, since you can't take the VTNE, and therefore this will not lead to the possibility of becoming an LVT/CVT/RVT--then it seems like a general pre-veterinary degree path, which can be found at many schools. Research this program if you are interested, but keep in mind that it's not a requirement--I second all the previous posts, you can major in just about whatever you choose as long as you make sure to cover vet school pre-reqs along the way.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you all for these amazing replies.
I really think it's best for me to take a broader route (like many of you have stated).
I knew joining SDN was a good choice.
Thank you!

Reactions: 1 users