What’s the best way to get in with a vet in your undergrad college town?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fiona0601

UIUC 2027
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
There are a few clinics in the town I’m doing my undergrad in, but I’m not sure how to approach them and ask for a shadowing opportunity.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
There are a few clinics in the town I’m doing my undergrad in, but I’m not sure how to approach them and ask for a shadowing opportunity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I looked for positions in the kennel, and applied to those. I got extremely lucky with my clinic, our job involves taking care of animals in the kennel but I also act as a vet assistant during the day so I work closely with the veterinarians and technicians. I would say your best bet is to take a resume with you and stop by clinics in the area to express your eagerness to shadow and gain some experience, the veterinarians I work with are amazing mentors and they’ve taught me valuable lessons/skills I’ll treasure forever!

I will say that not all kennel positions allow you to work in the hospital as well, so that’s just something you’ll have to ask about if you decide to go the route I did :) best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Just ask:)

But really, put together a resume, and take it in person. Explain your a prevet looking for shadowing experience. Sometimes that turns into a job!

Members don't see this ad :)
Ask to shadow for a day. They’ll be more likely to say yes if it’s not a long term commitment. And if it goes well, ask them if you can come back another day :)

You probably don't have pets at school, but if you do, bring your pets there for medical care!

I ended up paying for like $500 in diagnostics for my cat (not like, for the heck of it -- she needed them) and then asked for a shadowing opportunity when the vet called to follow up. Hard to say no to that haha

...Then I brought cookies to the shadowing day...

...And then I was offered a job :)

(If no sick pets who you can inadvertently use as bargaining chips, then you can still demonstrate interest in their clinic by personalizing the way you ask -- explain why you're interested in learning from their clinic specifically. And always show some appreciation once they have given you their time and mentorship.)

I'ma not speak for other vets, but if someone wanted to shadow me the criteria they would HAVE to evidence are:
-- professionalism: dress decently, don't be pulling your cell phone out every 5 minutes, etc.
-- courtesy and respect for me and my staff: the truth is - we matter more at work than you do. remember that. we're here for us and our clients; any benefit we have to offer you is way, way, way down on the priority list.
-- boldness: you want to shadow? great - just tell my front desk staff and ask if you can meet with me.
-- not too much boldness: don't come asking to shadow me 3 times a week for a year. holy hell I won't be able to say no fast enough. ask if you can shadow for a day. if it goes well and you like me and you don't royally annoy me, then ask if you can do it again. after a few times, ask if you can do it regularly (because if I haven't kicked you out by then you're probably ok). remember that the first few times are dates; don't try and marry me right away.
-- personality: have one. be funny. be interested. ask questions when we don't look like we're going crazy. don't get offended when we say "not now" or "stand back" or "no, you can't go in THIS room with THIS client."

(We don't take pre-vet shadows where I work because of how chaotic and potentially hazardous it is; I regularly have 4th years doing externships, but that's about it.)

Reactions: 5 users
(We don't take pre-vet shadows where I work because of how chaotic and potentially hazardous it is; I regularly have 4th years doing externships, but that's about it.)

For this reason, your best bet with me would be to just ask me for a job. Express your interest in going to vet school one day, and at the same time show humility by letting me know you will take any position for the opportunity to shadow and learn. If you don’t have skills to offer, don’t be the annoying kid who feels entitled to do all the “fun” jobs. Once you have shown commitment and some level of aptitude, if you’re driven, you’ll advance quickly. But that’s on your employer’s terms, not yours.

Reactions: 1 users