what's the impact?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I apologize if I offended anyone. I wont stoop to the level of some posters who perhaps have read the oath of hippocrates but cannot follow it.

Every branch of medicine is equally fascinating. Reading a page of Harrison is as much fun as reading a page of Shwartz. Both surgery and medicine have their pros and cons. While Salmonella and I have given a logical assessment it seems that others have certain 'entitled' views on the subject and are not willing to be flexible. You cannot have a discussion without the willingness to listen to other's point of view, so, I think we should perhaps close this discussion.

Good luck.. :)

Dang onco, you broke your promise. Good riddance!:rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

neurosurgeons are eons ahead of you guys.

Hmm, Didn't think I was in competition with NSG. In fact, we are both trying to help the pt after all. You have a very dim view of medicine. Fields are there to coexist together and help the pt. It's not about ego. I can easily see you as the type of physcian denigrating all fields other than your own. Good luck when you get out into the real world, where you'll actually be suckling at the teat of every physician out there or risk drifting into the abyss!

And I wouldn't want to be there when you consult neuro, because you have no clue what is wrong with your pt!

Wheezy,

You sound more mature than rest of the trolls/4th year kids on this forum.. :D Tell us more about yourself and your background.

Cortical stimulation and intrathecal infusion of certain medications are currently at initial stages of research.. You know many drugs simply cannot pass the blood brain barrier so I am very dubious if there will ever be medications suited for neurological treatment. I know of a neurosurgery resident at UCSF who will publish a paper (hopefully that should end up in Nature or Science) on invasive treatment of AD within the next year.

Neurology is full of people who want to make easy money by doing EMGs or monitoring epilepsy or migraine all their lives. Take an example of Trigeminal neuralgia. For a hundred years neurologists could not come up with a drug to treat the condition. Now Neurosurgeons are doing thousands of microvascular decompressions every year and treating this disease. Isnt that a failure of the Neurologist? Same goes for PD and deep brain stimulation.

Neurologists have to think invasively.. they have to create interventions and be genuinely interested in 'treatment'. Otherwise Neurosurgeons will continue to dominate the direction of thought and research on disorders of the central nervous system. From researching on viral vectors to treat CNS disorders, to using endovascular and endoscopic treatment of various CNS conditions, neurosurgeons are eons ahead of you guys.

And finally, unlike neurosurgery, there are very few neurologists who are GENUINELY interested in research.
Dear Troll,
Have you noticed that at every instance in this thread that someone has definitively shown one of your sweeping defamations of neurology to be patently false you have simply ignored their posts? I have.

There are already numerous neurologic drugs that cross the BBB -- levodopa for one. I am much more dubious regarding the existence of this neurosurgery resident's paper on AD than the future development of even more efficacious neurologic drugs.

Your generalization about neurologists being money grubbers is laughable. You obviously do not know many neurologists and have never chanced to compare the average salaries of neurologists and other specialties. Look at this survey, which shows neurology squarely in the middle of physician specialties for salary. While this does not disprove that some neurologists may in fact want only to do EMG studies or read EEGs to make as much money as possible, one would expect the average to be at the higher end of the spectrum if the field were overrun by these types as you imply.

Your rhetoric skills are laughable. You state that neurologists are money grubbing Shylocks, then say "take an example Trigeminal neuralgia" which has nothing to do with the contention that neurologists are trying to maximize profits. While I understand that you had actually intended to make a different point with your laughable example, you obviously need a better grounding in logic and the positing of logical arguments.

As for that example of trigeminal neuralgia, there is no shame in noting that some disorders require surgical intervention. I suppose you would chastise cardiologists for not having a drug to replace damaged valves and relying on cardiothoracic surgeons to perform valve replacements?

Your contention that neurologists are not interested in either treatment or research is simply laughable. The explosion of neuro-intensivists in recent years disproves the former, and the fact that a recent survey showed that 50% of neurologists maintained at least partial ties to academia marks the latter as unlikely at best. (My source for this survey is a lecture given two months ago by the residency program director at my medical school.)

Go get your shinebox.

Members don't see this ad :)
While I don't see why anyone even pays attention to people like Onco, I thought that last post was beautiful.

Go get your shinebox.

Hehe.. I'mm actually off to the Golden State next week on my first interview trail in IM.. UCSF is among the stops ;)

Hope, you'll shine my shoes.. :cool:

Hehe.. I'mm actually off to the Golden State next week on my first interview trail in IM.. UCSF is among the stops ;)

Will someone for the love of god close this thread! It's served it's purpose of proving that Onco has an inferiority complex and knows very little!

wow, so onco is interviewing at ucsf! seems like a smart kid. You should do neuro to help cure AD and PD. Why are you so negative about neuro?

Salmonella,

IM has more variety, more therapeutics, more oppurtunities for research, more lively attendings, more charisma... yadda, yadda, yadda..
Plus I like the lifestyle and the fact that IM is traditional medicine. I am particularly interested in Oncology.

I dont dislike Neurology... I just think they need a quantam leap in research and try to find cures. With the current trend, I would bet my bottom cent on a neurosurgeon or geneticist finding some sort of a cure for PD or AD. Sinemet-refractory PD is already being treated quite well with DBS (I believe survival in current observational studies is 5-7 years). With AD, a drug's not going to do it. It will be some sort of an invasive procedure.. may be a memory chip implanted into the brain..

Cheers.

Salmonella,

IM has more variety, more therapeutics, more oppurtunities for research, more lively attendings, more charisma... yadda, yadda, yadda..
Plus I like the lifestyle and the fact that IM is traditional medicine. I am particularly interested in Oncology.

I dont dislike Neurology... I just think they need a quantam leap in research and try to find cures. With the current trend, I would bet my bottom cent on a neurosurgeon or geneticist finding some sort of a cure for PD or AD. Sinemet-refractory PD is already being treated quite well with DBS (I believe survival in current observational studies is 5-7 years). With AD, a drug's not going to do it. It will be some sort of an invasive procedure.. may be a memory chip implanted into the brain..

Cheers.

Dude, who the hell cares you're going to UCSF? A lot of us are going to the top schools for interviews. It's pathetic to brag. Why don't you be that neurosurgeon that you keep yakking about and put in that magical micro-chip to cure AD? While you're at it, put one in yourself to cure MR!:laugh:

In Internet terminology, a troll is a person who enters an established community such as an online discussion forum and intentionally tries to cause disruption, most often in the form of posting inflammatory, off-topic, or otherwise inappropriate messages.

I am a staff at UCSF. We don't like candidates with attitudes like Onco. My residents in medicine can smell poor team players. Lesson in life would be, learn how to play with everyone in the sand box.

I am particularly interested in Oncology.

Isn't the oncologist the most money grubber? I am not a medical student and not in the field of medicine but always get this opinion from other people.

Members don't see this ad :)
Isn't the oncologist the most money grubber? I am not a medical student and not in the field of medicine but always get this opinion from other people.
No. The reputation of oncologists is contained in the following joke:
Q--Why do they put nails in coffins?
A--To keep oncologists from delivering more chemo.

HA! Let me know if you spot a neurology resident who is currently a pain fellow. That would be a rare creature.

You are certainly misinformed. I'm an interventional pain neurologist who completed a fellowship at a top program and am currently in private practice. I'm doing everything from injections to radiofrequency to spinal cord stimulation. Neurologists have always been involved in pain...there just aren't that many of us interested in it. The truly rare creature is the internist who's lucky enough to get a pain fellowship.:rolleyes:

Not to fan the flames here, but as a MSII thinking of going into neurology I've found this particular thread to be incredibly helpful and informative (including Onco's posts which have inadvertently managed to bring out a number of very strong arguments in support of the field). Keep it up, fellas! :D

The residents (almost half is FMG) complained about job market (starting salary in the 120's). All they want to do is EMG fellowship so they can make some money in the real world.

What about a sleep fellowship? Isn't that a pathway to a pretty good salary?

Onco, GET OFF THIS FORUM!! :mad: You have no idea what you are talking about, and no-one should be replying to his insane, ******ed comments.

I whole-heartedly agree with Methydopa's idea of a "kick in the nads". :thumbup: I was rolling over laughing when I read this :laugh: :laugh:

As a fellow neurologist myself, I agree with all the prior views from the experienced neurologists above.

If anyone out there is interested in Neuro, DO NOT listen to this troll at all. He is clearly disillusionned with an inferiority complex, as he previously stated "if I were that good, I would go into neurosurg". Thank god you are not in neuro and I certainly do not envy your wonderful IM/ED caseload! :eek:

Onco, GET OFF THIS FORUM!! :mad: You have no idea what you are talking about, and no-one should be replying to his insane, ******ed comments.

I whole-heartedly agree with Methydopa's idea of a "kick in the nads". :thumbup: I was rolling over laughing when I read this :laugh: :laugh:

As a fellow neurologist myself, I agree with all the prior views from the experienced neurologists above.

If anyone out there is interested in Neuro, DO NOT listen to this troll at all. He is clearly disillusionned with an inferiority complex, as he previously stated "if I were that good, I would go into neurosurg". Thank god you are not in neuro and I certainly do not envy your wonderful IM/ED caseload! :eek:

Your choice of words would ashame Ghandi... It would be great had you learned something from him instead of just quoting him..

I hope you learn to accept constructive criticism.

Cheers

You are certainly misinformed. I'm an interventional pain neurologist who completed a fellowship at a top program and am currently in private practice. I'm doing everything from injections to radiofrequency to spinal cord stimulation. Neurologists have always been involved in pain...there just aren't that many of us interested in it. The truly rare creature is the internist who's lucky enough to get a pain fellowship.:rolleyes:

Interesting. I'm interested in pain (among other things) but figured that anesthesiology was the best way to get there. I'd much rather go the neurology route if I could still master all the procedures you mentioned above. Did you find that the learning curve was greater for you than for the anesthesiologists in your program (i.e., because you hadn't had as much experience with procedures)? I would love to hear more about your practice.

Interesting. I'm interested in pain (among other things) but figured that anesthesiology was the best way to get there. I'd much rather go the neurology route if I could still master all the procedures you mentioned above. Did you find that the learning curve was greater for you than for the anesthesiologists in your program (i.e., because you hadn't had as much experience with procedures)? I would love to hear more about your practice.

Yes the learning curve was steeper, but not that much. It helped that I pursued training beginning in med school. I did at least one interventional pain rotation every year, starting as an MS III and my residency chairman knew of my plans and encouraged me. He allowed me to spend all my elective time with our pain mgmt department which helped quite a bit. I certainly wasn't as experienced as my anesthesia collegues, but by the time fellowship rolled around I'd already mastered a few procedures and was pretty comfortable with the needle. Just know that you'll have to seek out your training and chart your own course.

I just got back from a med school interview at USUHS and was encouraged as the Dean of Student Affairs took time to speak to the group of interviewees and encouraged us to seriously look into Neurology. He said he firmly believes that the really big medical breakthroughs that will occur in the next 10-15 years will be in neurology (The blind seeing, paralyzed walking etc....) and said if we wanted to be on the forefront of medicine we should seriously consider neuro. This, along with my fathers DAI (Diffuse Axonal Injury) got me very interested.

> Cortical stimulation and intrathecal infusion of certain medications are currently at initial stages of research.. You know many drugs simply cannot pass the blood brain barrier so I am very dubious if there will ever be medications suited for neurological treatment. I know of a neurosurgery resident at UCSF who will publish a paper (hopefully that should end up in Nature or Science) on invasive treatment of AD within the next year. <

Onco,
You clearly need to brush up on all the immunotherapies coming out for AD treatments in the next 2-5 yrs. I cannot believe a US Med School is giving you a degree, but the douche factor never precluded anyone from graduating. Your arguments are not based on facts, just hearsay.

Clearly you must be single and alone. Enjoy valentine's day this week, use your time trolling to go meet a member of the opposite sex!

BC