what's my chance of getting into neurology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deutsche106

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
got my step 1 score back 203/84, US grad, what's my chance of getting into neurology?

Members don't see this ad.

Match probabilities for neurology residencies by region based on your reported statistics:

Midwest: 74%
Northeast: 56%
Southeast: 62%
Southwest: 71%
West: 58%

I'm kidding. If step I and US-grad is all that anyone cared about, then neuro applicants could just send their board scores to programs on a post-it note, and wait for the acceptance/rejection letter to come back.

Your Step I score is not entirely incompatible with neurology residency. If you're also a convicted felon, then it might be tough to get a residency spot. If you're an MD-PhD with 12 first author publications, it might not be a big deal at all. If you do well on Step 2, you might greatly improve your chances. If you get a LOR from Marsel Mesulam, you might do even better. If you couples match with your wife who has to do Plastic Surgery in California, then that still might not be enough.

Additional information might make it easier for us to give advice.

got my step 1 score back 203/84, US grad, what's my chance of getting into neurology?

You can get into a Residency program, but not the major programs. My guess (and that's all it is) is that you'll have a chance at about 50% of the programs. You won't automatically be eliminated at 1/2 the programs, but there are plenty of programs where you'll be eligible in theory but very unlikely to match.

Match probabilities for neurology residencies by region based on your reported statistics:

Midwest: 74%
Northeast: 56%
Southeast: 62%
Southwest: 71%
West: 58%

I'm kidding. If step I and US-grad is all that anyone cared about, then neuro applicants could just send their board scores to programs on a post-it note, and wait for the acceptance/rejection letter to come back.

Your Step I score is not entirely incompatible with neurology residency. If you're also a convicted felon, then it might be tough to get a residency spot. If you're an MD-PhD with 12 first author publications, it might not be a big deal at all. If you do well on Step 2, you might greatly improve your chances. If you get a LOR from Marsel Mesulam, you might do even better. If you couples match with your wife who has to do Plastic Surgery in California, then that still might not be enough.

Additional information might make it easier for us to give advice.

That.

But fwiw, here's the Step 1 situation for the 2008-09 match in neurology:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us