What's the deal with the 3+3 Plastics programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr. neek

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I was wondering if anyone can elaborate on how one would go about applying to a 3+3 Plastics program (especially in NYC). I understand the integrated way, and I know there are very very few spots in the northeast. I also understand the 5+2 Gen Surg. + fellowship route. But does each program save the plastics spots for residents for when they finish PGY-3, or do you have to apply to the second 3 years as though it were a fellowship?

Please enlighten, I'm bit confused because the websites don't explain the process.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

someone, anyone...bueller, bueller...

For all practical purposes, applying to a combined 3+3 program is the same as applying to an integrated program.

You are essentially guranteed a spot after the G Surg years just the same as those that went through an integrated program. No applications no interviews etc. It is just a technical issue regarding which department is responsible for your education those first years with G Surg.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks supafly,

So my million dollar question is: where can I actually get a list of combined programs? I have searched high and low, on FRIEDA, Scutwork.com, and other sites to find a list. Any ideas where else I can look? Also, any other advice for an aspiring PS?

Thanks!!