What's the advantage?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shocker682

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering how much of an advantage (if any) one would have if one posessed a DVM and a Phd, versus someone with a Bsc, Msc, and Phd? Does the DVM make much of a difference in the research setting?

thanks,
Dan

Members don't see this ad.

It all depends on the type of research you are interested in doing. A DVM and PhD will certainly hold more of an advantage over a BS or MS when it comes to attaining grants and running a laboratory. Both degrees will serve an equal purpose in an academic research setting as both are respected equally. On the other hand, you can always train for a DVM/PhD at the same time. The additional time spent attaining the PhD is primarily to provide you with the analytical and experimental tools necessary to fulfill a research career in the future. I already have an MS with research experience in both an academic and pharmaceutical setting. In my opinion, I have the skills necessary to follow through with a research career once I attain either an MD or DVM. If you are looking at long-term research careers and have the desire to be the PI, then I suggest you attain one of the more advanced degrees (DVM or PhD).

Herp