What year do you do your MBA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pleaseacceptme

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
During or in between what years do most students/schools do their MBA? Do you apply before matriculating as a medical student or can you apply as a medical student? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Here is a sticky that answers your question

MD/MBA Program List

And here is a good website for additional reference or information

MD/MBA.org

Quick short answers to you question - It depends on the school. It seems like the trend is 3 years of medical school then business then combined for both.

As for when you apply, that also depends. I found the sticky very helpful in answering that question...and the link to the website isn't bad too. Also a nice google search that says XX Medschool and MD/MBA or XX Business School and MD/MBA will start you on the right path.

Here is a sticky that answers your question

MD/MBA Program List

And here is a good website for additional reference or information

MD/MBA.org

Quick short answers to you question - It depends on the school. It seems like the trend is 3 years of medical school then business then combined for both.

As for when you apply, that also depends. I found the sticky very helpful in answering that question...and the link to the website isn't bad too. Also a nice google search that says XX Medschool and MD/MBA or XX Business School and MD/MBA will start you on the right path.

Thanks for the info. What does concurrent mean in regards to applying? Is it that you just have to be a current medical student at the school to apply (it does not depend on what year medical student you are)?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the info. What does concurrent mean in regards to applying? Is it that you just have to be a current medical student at the school to apply (it does not depend on what year medical student you are)?

Hmm. The definition of concurrent is displayed below from dictionary.com.

Con·cur·rent /kənˈkɜrənt, -ˈkʌr-/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[kuhn-kur-uhnt, -kuhr-] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–adjective 1. occurring or existing simultaneously or side by side: concurrent attacks by land, sea, and air.

Simply put, you apply to the medical school *concurrently* with the business school. You apply to both schools during their respective cycle(s) for the year you want to matriculate. When, and if, accepted to both, your business school acceptance is usually deferred till the terms stated.---> usually after 3rd year of medical school.

In lingo speak, you apply as a MS-0.

During or in between what years do most students/schools do their MBA? Do you apply before matriculating as a medical student or can you apply as a medical student? Thanks.
varies from school to school. at my school, Ohio State, yr 1 and 2 are solely med, then take Usmle. summer after 2nd yr and 3rd yr are business stuff. year 4/5 is half and half

Some programs have you apply the same year as your apply for medical school but the majority of programs I know of allow you apply after your first year. Usually most do the joint degree either after 2nd year and I know a few who did it after 3rd year. I'd suggest either doing it after 2nd year or I've heard some programs who allow completion of the MBA before they matriculate into medical school.