What was your GPA when you graduated? ... This was asked on a recent job interview!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yorkie212

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is this a common interview question? I actually was surprised when I was asked what my GPA was upon graduating.... because I graduated OVER a decade ago!... Is the job market this tight, that they ask for your GPA?!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Is this a common interview question? I actually was surprised when I was asked what my GPA was upon graduating.... because I graduated OVER a decade ago!... Is the job market this tight, that they ask for your GPA?!

rofl why would this be relevant, sounds like a dumbarse and/or new grad writing the interview questions

For the record, I’ve never been asked GPA...but i have done a brief clinical exam on pretty much every interview.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
4.0 And I don't believe I've been asked that ONCE in an interview in over 30 years as a pharmacist. LOL

I have interviewed 100's of Rph's and never asked that

My guess is because the person interviewing me is a preceptor at the pharmacy 🤷‍♀️

Know what's going to be funny in a couple of years? If they ask you what the minimum GPA was to apply or what your PCAT score was...lol

My guess is because the person interviewing me is a preceptor at the pharmacy 🤷‍♀️

I’m a preceptor for a residency program and I wouldn’t ask such a useless question from a job applicant for a staff (non resident) position.

If this was your first job, I think it could be a pertinent question. But after you've had work history? Then it would make no sense.

Back when I applied for my first job, I had a copy of my transcript I brought for my job interview....it seemed like the thing to do, I have no idea if anyone would have asked for it, if I hadn't brought it. Probably not, since I had both hospital and retail experience as a technician/intern. But now if I asked, I would find that a very bizarre question.

Would you ask that for a clinical position though or for a residency program?

Clinical, staff, whatnot...all the same to me (staff = anyone who works in the pharmacy).

For residency program it’s different, and I wouldn’t ask on an interview because I already have that data from the application system (we have program minimums).

Members don't see this ad :)
Clinical, staff, whatnot...all the same to me (staff = anyone who works in the pharmacy).

For residency program it’s different, and I wouldn’t ask on an interview because I already have that data from the application system (we have program minimums).

And even with transcripts accessible for residency applications I've never looked back at GPA to weigh one candidate vs another when ranking. It's simply a barrier to entry (interview).

And even with transcripts accessible for residency applications I've never looked back at GPA to weigh one candidate vs another when ranking. It's simply a barrier to entry (interview).

Yeah, if you meet my minimum, I frankly don’t care whether you had a 3.3 (I think our minimum, someone else screens) or 4.0.

All G.P.A. measures is your ability to cram and regurgitate info... (for some reason I can't type G.P.A. without the dots or it translates it to "treats!"...weird)

Is treats code name for G P A or something?

Yah this AF filter is dumb

• Dislike
Someone turned on a slooF lirpA autocorrect, and it's really annoying in a couple of the forums that the writer wouldn't know any better. Just write backwards to evade the filter.

Is this an Apr il foo l joke?

This thread with the filter is super hilarious! Happy April 1st everyone!

I am disappointed that our resident curmudgeon @WVUPharm2007 didn't stop by to us how lame we are for participating in such a like, you know, lame thing.
The only thing that's lame here are the maudes calling people out for no reason. Which is to be expected. Lame is what they do. They still haven't reinstated BMB.

I have no problem with Oestre/Easter. Oestre makes sense. Let's celebrate the weather no longer being ****. I'm good with that. And the Christian rebranding of it (Easter) is basically watching a snuff film about a hippy being beaten to death and then hung up like a scarecrow. And then proceed to tell us how beautiful it was. Which is the most metal thing I've ever heard of.

Easter is such a crazy ass holiday, how can I hate it?

• Haha
The only thing that's lame here are the maudes calling people out for no reason. Which is to be expected. Lame is what they do. They still haven't reinstated BMB.

I have no problem with Oestre/Easter. Oestre makes sense. Let's celebrate the weather no longer being ****. I'm good with that. And the Christian rebranding of it (Easter) is basically watching a snuff film about a hippy being beaten to death and then hung up like a scarecrow. And then proceed to tell us how beautiful it was. Which is the most metal thing I've ever heard of.

Easter is such a crazy ass holiday, how can I hate it?
I was referring to April 1st, not Easter.

I didn't have a great GPA. I honestly don't recall the exact number but it was above 3.0 mostly thanks to electives and rotations. I never ask for it, and have never been asked for it. However, I do sometimes get candidates who put down their respectable GPA or rho chi status on their resume. It does add some arbitrary points in my mind. At the very least, I get the impression they were dedicated to a goal, had a certain amount of self-discipline, and take pride in their work.

Over 3 but don’t remember. Gpa is meaningless because on vast majority of rotations in last year, most people get As.

Over 3 but don’t remember. Gpa is meaningless because on vast majority of rotations in last year, most people get As.

I never understood why some schools have graded rotations, that’s problematic for a variety of reasons.

Reactions: 1 users