On a scale from 1-10, how stressful is your job?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Have you ever worked a day as a nurse on an inpatient medical unit? If not then nursing working condition is beyond your imagination.
Yes, anyone can have anaphylaxis reactions with immunization, but it is rare. And if it happens, just like you said, call 911 and give Epi. EMT will take care of the rest.
Sure you will have Karen & Johnny screaming at you...but if they can do that, their airway is pretty patent and they are not dying
Sure your phone may ring off the hook from the time you open until you are close...but hey, still no one is "actually" dying (even though they're acting like they do). At the end of the day, you are still relatively "clean" with minimal exposure to body fluids.

Now let extend your imagination:
Patient #1 is 300 lbs and is swimming in poop (colostomy bag leaking or rectal tube dislodge) and you can smell it 100 ft away. You call your nurse assistant but too bad she is busy with another pt (yup nursing is chronically under staffed too)
Then pt #2 call you for their pain med, and by the way they just have a "code brown" all over the floor, and they are positive for C.Diff, MRSA
At the same time, Pt #3 (a Karen, yup nursing has Karen too) wants their insulin ASAP cuz their meal is getting cold.
Oh wait, your charge nurse is calling you cuz your pt #4 telemetry monitor showing a flat line (ie they are dying)
As you rush to pt #4, and pass by pt #5 room. You realize pt #5 is lying on the floor. Pt 5 tell you that they just fall & hit their head !!
As a super nurse, you take care of everything and finally you can eat your breakfast at 4pm. As you are browsing SDN forum, you notice a "brown stuff" on your scrub...uhm is that the peanut butter or is that from one of my patients ???. No big deal, it is pay day and you are making about ..$25/hr.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
I'd have to respectfully disagree.

Close your eyes and imagine this situation:
You're a pharmacist working at one of the big chains with a skeleton crew.
You administer a flu shot for a minor and the child experiences anaphylaxis.
You call 911, administer epinephrine, and perform CPR.
Meanwhile, Karen gives zero **** about a child in anaphylaxis and screams why her Adderall RX that she dropped off 5 minutes ago isn't ready yet; she'll be late for her nail appointment and demands that she speaks to your manager.
For the past 15 minutes, Johnny over here has been waiting for his Oxycontin #180 to be filled with no questions asked through GoodRx; now your queue is red and the time-delay safe expired.
A dentist down the street is on the line calling in 3 RX including Tylenol #3 for a minor while the other big chain across the street is on the other line calling for verbal transfer.
All that while making $45/h, 32h/week, barely making a dent in your 300K loan, while your idiot roommate from undergrad is now a CS bro and making $500k/year + stock-based compensation working from home and unlimited vacation time because he went to a coding boot camp with minimal to no debt bro.

That is a solid 10, and I'm not referring to my attractiveness ;)
although I don't disagree being a retail rph is stressfull- but how many of you have administered CPR in a retail setting with the above scenario?

Members don't see this ad :)
Have done neither Epi nor CPR personally- but training is required to be an immunizer so one can reasonably expect the above satire can be a reality, considering all but Epi/CPR is a daily routine at the skeleton crew big chain.

Anecdotally, I've heard of someone having a really bad reaction to Covid19 vaccine and passing out in my old store; but can't remember how it was handled or the outcome.
In the other anecdote, I've heard of a pharmacist who got in trouble for using a pharmacy stock Epi on a patient instead of an emergency kit, so **** happens.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
My new long term care job is around 3/10 in stress and will probably be even lower when I've figured it all out. Glad I was fortunate enough to escape retail hell. Hell, I get my own desk and a f***ing CHAIR. 1 hour lunch break and I can go wherever the hell I want. I can use the restroom whenever I need to. No more 12 hour shifts. No more customers screaming at me. No more techs interrupting me with silly questions. And I'm still making more than at Walgreens. They could not pay me enough to come back, even with 75k sign on bonus.

Last edited:
My new long term care job is around 3/10 in stress and will probably be even lower when I've figured it all out. Glad I was fortunate enough to escape retail hell. Hell, I get my own desk and a f***ing CHAIR. 1 hour lunch break and I can go wherever the hell I want. I can use the restroom whenever I need to. No more 12 hour shifts. No more customers screaming at me. No more techs interrupting me with silly questions. And I'm still making more than at Walgreens. They could not pay me enough to come back, even with 75k sign on bonus.
Congrats on escaping!

You mean you don’t miss getting interrupted every 30 ****ing seconds to do a reconstitute, answer a common question any 1+month experienced tech could answer, answer a doctor line phone call that is actually a patient, walk over to register for a simple DUR involving asking if patient has any known drug allergies, administer a vaccine, “consult” someone on where a product is located, the list goes on and on…especially depending on your crew at the time

I mean like where’s the fun in not having to think critically about when the window of opportunity to run to the rest room presents? Some people struggle getting in enough water…I mean like this is a god damn game of high stakes, money on the line chess for me at work at least

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
I keep thinking my new job is too good to be true. About a year ago, a guy was mad his refill wasn't ready so he threatened me. I went home that night and told the missus I was changing careers.

Work from home doing information security work (spent about a year learning, taking certification exams, etc). My coworkers are my dogs. I can fart any time I want. Interactions with people take place via a Zoom equivalent. But they've all been smart people so far.

Did I mention I work with my dogs?

Still work a shift every now and then in a retail pharmacy. It's easy money when you can just leave it behind when you punch out.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I keep thinking my new job is too good to be true. About a year ago, a guy was mad his refill wasn't ready so he threatened me. I went home that night and told the missus I was changing careers.

Work from home doing information security work (spent about a year learning, taking certification exams, etc). My coworkers are my dogs. I can fart any time I want. Interactions with people take place via a Zoom equivalent. But they've all been smart people so far.

Did I mention I work with my dogs?

Still work a shift every now and then in a retail pharmacy. It's easy money when you can just leave it behind when you punch out.
i can fart anytime i want in the retail setting too 😂

• Haha
Congratulations. I tell everyone…you should look for a new job on your first day at CVS.

Honestly, this is so true. You absolutely cannot make a full career out of CVS or Wags as a pharmacist. It's too much.

Have done neither Epi nor CPR personally- but training is required to be an immunizer so one can reasonably expect the above satire can be a reality, considering all but Epi/CPR is a daily routine at the skeleton crew big chain.

Anecdotally, I've heard of someone having a really bad reaction to Covid19 vaccine and passing out in my old store; but can't remember how it was handled or the outcome.
In the other anecdote, I've heard of a pharmacist who got in trouble for using a pharmacy stock Epi on a patient instead of an emergency kit, so **** happens.
I don't doubt it happens, but I am guessing it is very very rare- which makes it all the more **** show when it does.

I have done CPR/attended codes literally 100's of times, so it doesn't bother me, but I remember my first handfull of them, and ya - effing sucks, even our seasoned rph's who work the IM floor rarely attend codes, so I get the stress. I just meant to say it is not a routine thing for retail rph's is not true - other crap you all deal with? hell ya- crazy stress, I wouldn't trade my job for a job in retail for 300k. Maybe even more.