What was Mr. Gower doing with a big jar of poison?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunnyandseventytwo

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I watched It's a Wonderful Life last night. I hadn't seen it in several years and was amazed at how good a film it was. But something is bothering me: What was Mr. Gower doing with a big jar of poison in the pharmacy? I can understand keeping poisonous drugs on hand (strychnine had all kinds of medicinal uses), but why not have that on the label?

Members don't see this ad.

It’s a movie. Also, you would never have strychnine in the dispensing section of a pharmacy ever, even back then. What medicinal use is there, it’s quite lethal? A pharmacist would have it on hand, but it would be in a separate section with the household chemicals. That’s why if you go into an old time pharmacy, you’ll see a small bench outside the pharmacy counter where that’s used as a separate work area for handling household chemicals.

I remember my grandfather commented that the guy was an idiot, both for having a household chemical in a cobalt, and having it in the medicine area and not outside the counter.

Reactions: 1 users
It’s a movie. Also, you would never have strychnine in the dispensing section of a pharmacy ever, even back then. What medicinal use is there, it’s quite lethal? A pharmacist would have it on hand, but it would be in a separate section with the household chemicals. That’s why if you go into an old time pharmacy, you’ll see a small bench outside the pharmacy counter where that’s used as a separate work area for handling household chemicals.

I remember my grandfather commented that the guy was an idiot, both for having a household chemical in a cobalt, and having it in the medicine area and not outside the counter.
Along the same line: Can anybody point out a movie, where a pharmacist is the lead, at the same time, not a psychopath or an idiot!
Seems like all the pharmacist roles are minor, selling condoms, or filling a prescription for the lead actor.
I am sure there is a movie out there, to fit the bill.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Along the same line: Can anybody point out a movie, where a pharmacist is the lead, at the same time, not a psychopath or an idiot!
Seems like all the pharmacist roles are minor, selling condoms, or filling a prescription for the lead actor.
I am sure there is a movie out there, to fit the bill.
No, for the same reasons why pharmacist mass murderers/serial killers don’t make the news. If you really want to be a serial killer and don’t have grandiose personality defects while remaining methodical, you don’t get caught because no one ever suspects a murder much less you. The only reason we know about some of them are postmortem evidence after the pharmacist has died or routine examination of purchase orders or travel data.

Reactions: 1 users
Leonardo DiCaprio played a pharmacist in The Great Gatsby who was neither a psycho nor an idiot.

Leonardo DiCaprio played a pharmacist in The Great Gatsby who was neither a psycho nor an idiot.
Wasn't Leo, The Great Gatsby, the eccentric billionaire (inflation), lived in a mansion, threw wild parties? Did I miss the part where Leo was filling Rx's and making milk shake?
I stand corrected.