What to do in my situation? Postbac or CC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pediclescrews

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I graduated from Yale in 2013 with a degree in film studies. I was on the baseball team and it was extremely difficult for me to make grades (not an excuse but my focus was on baseball). I finished with I think a 2. 7 or 2.8 GPA with essentially no courses that count toward pre-med except for English. I took two years of math but not calculus or trig. I have been in the medical industry working as a sales consultant in spine, providing instrumentation for spine surgery. I have seen and assisted in over 100 cases done by orthopedic and neurosurgeons. My father is also a neurosurgeon. I had a revelation after doing my second cadaver lab and placing pedicle screws that I could really do well as a spine surgeon. I am strongly considering pursuing medical school but I am trying to figure out if and how this is possible. Would it be better to go to a postbac program and try to complete the necessary courses? or do it at a community college? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

With your gpa, you should focus on furthering your career in medical sales/consulting because you have a very slim chance of being accepted into medical school with that gpa

I'd agree with the above poster. Although if you're really committed to med school then I would post-bac and possibly get an MS degree after the post-bac. Plus your mcat would really have to shine. Just my 2 cents. I wish you the best of luck though in whatever you decide to do.

Members don't see this ad :)
What? OP definitely has a shot at medical school. Instead of doing multiple years of post bacc/ms degree, do a year of upper level division science and retake F/D/C coursework. Get the GPA to 3.0+ and a 508+ MCAT. Apply DO in two years. Osteopathic medical schools allow for grade replacement. If you took a class and say got a D. You can retake the class and whichever newest score you get will be used to calculate your GPA. I.e you get an A, a B and a C for one term with a gpa of 3.0. You retake the C and get an A. Your new gpa is 3.66. As an added bonus, DO schools do not count math in the science gpa.

In addition, since you say the only class you've taken that counts towards med school is english, there are multiple career changer post-baccs, several with linkages. Hop over to this article: http://www.studentdoctor.net/2013/05/career-changer-post-bac-programs-the-ideal-applicant/

I think you have a reasonably compelling story. Having Yale on your resume will help, even with a pretty subpar 2.8. You need to take the pre-reqs and ace them, followed by a strong MCAT.