What to do as MSIII for OB/GYN...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aardvark

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I was wondering how competitive Chicago residency programs are for OB/GYN... Any advice? Also, what can I do third year to make myself a good candidate for OB/GYN residency apps? How important is research? :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

aardvark said:
Hello, I was wondering how competitive Chicago residency programs are for OB/GYN... Any advice? Also, what can I do third year to make myself a good candidate for OB/GYN residency apps? How important is research? :luck:

I can't say about the Chicago programs, but last year there were an abundance spots available. Check out scutwork.com for the exact number of unfilled spots in the programs you are interested in. ObGyn is predicted to be less popular this year than last so you should have no problem matching somewhere.
Your best bet is to work hard and impress everyone on your rot, line up some good LORs and if you have time do some research. :)

i've heard that research helps but is not required for OB. Even board scores aren't supposed to be that important.
I have heard though that proving interest in the field either by research or by other extracurriculars (community work etc) is important.