What subspecialties of business are recommended for physicians?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

erasable

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had a lot of classmates in college who went into consulting, investment banking, finance, equity management, accounting, etc.

To my understanding, Business is a big world.

I was wondering which part of business can physicians find a role.

Members don't see this ad.

The possibilities are truly endless. Turn on the news and listen to all the discussions regarding health care. The health care industry impacts almost every single industry out there. So, the world of business is an open field of opportunities for physicians.

I had a lot of classmates in college who went into consulting, investment banking, finance, equity management, accounting, etc.

To my understanding, Business is a big world.

I was wondering which part of business can physicians find a role.

Need to pls. clarify your question a bit.

Do you want to practice as a physician, and also work in business? Or move out of medicine, and into business? Or go into business and use medical knowledge? Direction you may want to pursue will impact the answer regarding what a physician can do.

I met a faculty member recently who has admin responsibilities, and practices as a physician. Learned that IM is a field from which hospital administrative staff are often pulled, as it's easier for the hospital to pay a % of their salary in return for the physician taking on admin duties.

Or you can work as a physician part time, and as a business person part time, or start your own company working somehow with healthcare ...

Anyone can start up a business of their own as long as they are open and willing to learn new things in improving ones business.