What should I do

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Homo sapien

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to go shadowing with a podiatrist this summer. There are two sets of them in the town where I go to school. I called one about 9 days ago and they haven't returned my call yet (and I am going to call the other one). Should I call the first one again and ask again or just try to go for the second one?

Members don't see this ad.

Just call again. Who knows how long of a holiday the docs/staff took. They probably forgot about you since they are more occupied with patients.

get dressed like a professional, go there in person and talk with the secretary and try to meet the doc in person. I shadowed a lot and thats what I did. A little initiative goes a long way.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, well, I don't have professional dress and cannot afford to buy any (everything I get comes from financial aid, which I don't get for the summer) so I shall try the first suggestion again. I tried this morning and no one picked up; I shall try again

You'll still need to wear something decent when you shadow, just FYI. They'll probably end up writing you a rec letter so make a good impression.

Yeah, you do need some professional dress clothes. Not only now but for your interview. Maybe you should also start saving/planning for your interviews. It may cost some money to get the interview and spend a night.

You don't need stylish clothes, just "professional clothes." You can go to a thrift store and buy these items for under $5.

You don't need stylish clothes, just "professional clothes." You can go to a thrift store and buy these items for under $5.

Max you showed up in a Zoot Suite didn't you?

To the OP - Dress formal / business casual. (I would not get into a suite like max, but you get the idea)

Well I meant that I didn't have any suit and anything. I normally wear long pants and polos (I don't do the t-shirt and holy pants and all that stuff; I don't leave my house looking like a piece of crap).

I am going to start saving for a suit this fall, but then I have financial aid from school. Now I don;t

I have never found anywhere you can jack a suit for 5 dollars.

I'm going to try to call them again first

Haha wooaaah!!! I just meant a pair of slacks, button down, and tie! My cousin did score this sweet chocolate brown full suit for $8. Haha definitely from the 70s.

Oh well, then I already have the slacks and button down, I just need a tie.

Oh well, then I already have the slacks and button down, I just need a tie.

You can buy a tie at the Salvation Army, Goodwill for like $2-3 or just borrow one from a friend.

Also you don't need to buy a WHOLE suit for future interviews. Just buy a suit jacket or a sports jacket. Instead of suit pants, just wear nice slacks. A suit jacket at stores like TJ Maxx or Marshalls or any other stores that sells overstock name brand clothing cost as low as $30.

Shadowing - Button down and dress pants with dress shoes. The first time I went into shadowing I wore a polo tucked into dress pants and the doc told me to wear a button down the next time (he wasn't nasty or anything about it).

Good luck!

For my personal experience, I showed up in scrubs from my job and the podiatrist preferred it over professional clothing. Go figure

As far as dress goes, unless you are told otherwise, always arrive in a shirt and tie. Only wear scrubs if you are told/given permission to do so. It makes you look better to show up sharp! It is much better if you show up in that while everyone else is in scrubs than you showing up in scrubs while everyone else is dressed nicely.