What proportions of fellows now have job offers?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pathresident2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It already late Feb. How many of your colleague fellows have job offers now?

Members don't see this ad.

I know 6 fellows. Three in the north-east, two in the mid-west, and one in the south-west.

One of them (south-west) has been hired to stay on as an attending at his institution, doing general surg-path. He has done surg path, peds and neuro fellowships.

In the mid-west, one is still searching while the other has resigned himself to a new fellowship elsewhere. He isn't too thrilled about it.

One of the north-east guys is doing general surgpath, after having done a GI fellowship. The other two in that region haven't got anything lined up yet. I think they both have multiple fellowships...

Edit: The one in the north-east doing general surgpath after a GI fellowship wants to remain in the general New England area or nearby it, but I believe the others are generally open to anything they can get.

Last edited:
Finishing my second fellowship this year (surg path + cytopath). Sent out around 30 applications. Two phone interviews. One live interview. One job offer. Done (thank god).

I know seven other fellows. One had a job locked up from the time he left residency (inside connection). One got a job after about 4 interviews (AP with neuro and surg path fellowships). One is doing a second fellowship next year (surg path + GI). And the other four are still looking (Only one of the four has had an interview).

The job market is significantly worse this year from when I was looking last year during my first fellowship.

Members don't see this ad :)
As people comment, could they include any known info about geographic restrictions? I think that's a huge factor in some cases of those unable to find jobs.

The fellows I know back from residency who are entering the job market this year all have jobs lined up, and have for a few months now. One seemed to be willing to go wherever, while two focused on particular regions of the US. Fellowships included hemepath only (1), dermpath only (1), and dermpath and cytopath (1).

Last edited:
The market is terrible. I've probably sent out about 50 applications. Have had a few phone conversations, and one interview. Received an offer but didn't sign the contract, just heard back that they changed thier mind and are going with someone with more experience. So now I'm back on the hunt again.

I am not geographically restricted at all, although would prefer to go back to the east coast. And I think I went to a pretty good residency and fellowship.

The market is terrible.

Any residents/fellows know someone involved with the CAP/ASCP resident forum? Is this job market issue being discussed again??

I am in my first fellowship. I went on 4 interviews (3 academic, 1 private), all in the northeast. Got 2 offers (1 academic, 1 private), will take the academic job. Of 5 other fellows one has an offer because of a connection, others still looking.

I'm in a SP fellowship in the upper midwest. I've had three interviews and three subsequent job offers in private practice groups (all in this region). Starting salary offers ranged from $180 to $230K, all were 3-year partnership tracks. I took the one that worked best for me.

Two of the interviews I had been working on getting since early in residency. For the third, I replied to an email forwarded from one of the staff at my training program.

Any residents/fellows know someone involved with the CAP/ASCP resident forum? Is this job market issue being discussed again??

The official CAP RF position is that there is a looming under supply of pathologists. They stated as much in a letter to the federal government not long ago, and it was discussed on this forum. So if somone thinks the job market is poor due to over supply, they will get no sympathy from the CAP Resident Forum.

However, the job market may be poor for reasons other than oversupply. Or perhaps the market is not poor at all. Those are also possibilities.

The official CAP RF position is that there is a looming under supply of pathologists. They stated as much in a letter to the federal government not long ago, and it was discussed on this forum. So if somone thinks the job market is poor due to over supply, they will get no sympathy from the CAP Resident Forum.

However, the job market may be poor for reasons other than oversupply. Or perhaps the market is not poor at all. Those are also possibilities.

I take Tiki's comments at face value. S/he has been on here a while, and s/he seems like a pretty smart and reasonable person. If s/he is struggling, I think that is somewhat telling.

I'll repeat: for those of you who can take the cold, look at jobs in Canada. There are far worse places in the world to live...

I wonder how important WHERE you train is to getting a job. I keep reading from many of you on this forum that it doesn't really matter.

Yet, I trained at a "top" place, and I never really knew anyone who could not find a job. Based on what I've read on this forum, I would say that where you did residency matters, and where you did fellowship matters. Of course, not being a douche also matters.

IF you are having a hard time finding a private practice job, it is worth considering taking a clinical instructor or asisstant professor job for 2-3 years. Yes you might be relegated to making 80k-120k for 2-3 years which could be tough given that you are in your early 30s, looking to start a family, buy a home and start paying off those six figure school loans, but the added experience can give you the upper hand in landing the elite private practice positions.

I wonder how important WHERE you train is to getting a job. I keep reading from many of you on this forum that it doesn't really matter.

Yet, I trained at a "top" place, and I never really knew anyone who could not find a job. Based on what I've read on this forum, I would say that where you did residency matters, and where you did fellowship matters. Of course, not being a douche also matters.

I second this. Although I think networking and strong connections are probably the best way to find a good job, after that your CV does help. I think it only helps for that first job after residency/training, but it definitely helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
I second this. Although I think networking and strong connections are probably the best way to find a good job, after that your CV does help. I think it only helps for that first job after residency/training, but it definitely helps.

Networking is far and away the most important thing to do. Its worth repeating that most jobs in pathology are NEVER posted.

I haven't checked yet, but I was actually (sarcastically) joking that there is probably a presentation or two at USCAP next week about the "impending shortage of pathologists" that will have an audience consisting of fellows and residents unable to find employment.

Any of you considering cutting your losses and doing another residency?

I haven't checked yet, but I was actually (sarcastically) joking that there is probably a presentation or two at USCAP next week about the "impending shortage of pathologists" that will have an audience consisting of fellows and residents unable to find employment.

Dude, it's still early- only February. Probably not time to panic for anyone until May.

That's a slightly unfair statement. The RF sent a letter referencing studies on the projected physician (all of the them) shortage and asked that federal funding not be cut. As I've stated in the past, nobody ever lobbies for cutting of your funding. Nobody. Ever.

If you want to argue that the funding should be cut, go for it. I'd be very curious as to what some of the short term and medium term impacts of those funding cuts would be. I would assume the market would be in a state of shock for at least a decade due to a lot of the "academic fat" that would be trimmed once government funding is slashed. Unless that fat has a home country they could return to, it's going to remain in the market and need to find employment.

:mad:
That's a slightly unfair statement. The RF sent a letter referencing studies on the projected physician (all of the them) shortage and asked that federal funding not be cut. As I've stated in the past, nobody ever lobbies for cutting of your funding. Nobody. Ever.

If you want to argue that the funding should be cut, go for it. I'd be very curious as to what some of the short term and medium term impacts of those funding cuts would be. I would assume the market would be in a state of shock for at least a decade due to a lot of the "academic fat" that would be trimmed once government funding is slashed. Unless that fat has a home country they could return to, it's going to remain in the market and need to find employment.

What? If I understand your statment - cutting federal funding of academic programs is going to cause loss of academic $, leading to loss of academic jobs which it turn will lead to more pathologists in the job market? Ok...

Wouldnt cutting of funding lead to less funded residency positions, leading to fewer graduates, leading to less competition (decrease supply ~ better Supply/Demand ratio)?

Thats all theory at this point. But what is REAL NOW is the job market is crap for pathology. Im tired of seeing well trained collegues who have done one or two fellowships, AP/CP board certified, sending out applications to every job online and not hear anything...(crickets chirping). Other fields of medicine see multiple offers in their geographic area of choice and many with sign on bonuses $.

Im tired of seeing well trained collegues who have done one or two fellowships, AP/CP board certified, sending out applications to every job online and not hear anything...(crickets chirping). Other fields of medicine see multiple offers in their geographic area of choice and many with sign on bonuses $.

"You're tired of it" implies you see it often. How many well trained pathologists do you know who are currently unemployed? I only ask because I don't know any.

And why compare to other fields like IM? It is a very different field. There are literally tens of thousands of IM residents every year, and more positions for them. They can't even fill all the residency spots. Every town has hundreds of openings. Pathology is a niche field with all of 500 residents/year. There are probably about that many jobs offered per year. That's far fewer than the number of US cities, meaning if you want to work at town X, there is a good chance there is nothing available there. The saturation per town in pathology is pretty small. If you think Path will EVER be like IM you are deluding yourself or haven't really thought about it before. If the most important thing to you is to have jobs available anywhere you might want them, you made a mistake going into path and should start up on that family medicine residency.

If the most important thing to you is to have jobs available anywhere you might want them, you made a mistake going into path and should start up on that family medicine residency.

Well there ya go. I guess because I actually know people struggling to find employeement (ANY JOB, regardless if it is crap and no matter where it is) then I am either poorly trained or delusional about the field I chose to enter. :rolleyes:

I must say it is a pleasure having 'top' trained colleagues such as yourself in this field. And I'm glad you were able to overcome any impediment (not being a douche also matters.) to be able to find employeement. :)

Wouldnt cutting of funding lead to less funded residency positions, leading to fewer graduates, leading to less competition (decrease supply ~ better Supply/Demand ratio)?

Thats all theory at this point. But what is REAL NOW is the job market is crap for pathology. Im tired of seeing well trained collegues who have done one or two fellowships, AP/CP board certified, sending out applications to every job online and not hear anything...(crickets chirping). Other fields of medicine see multiple offers in their geographic area of choice and many with sign on bonuses $.

Of course it would lead to few residents trained. That effect takes a while to impact the entire system though. I'm just thinking that if your leadership points out that you get too much money to train residents, your other sources of funding probably start questioning your existence as well. Just glancing through the faculty rosters of the big academic centers, it doesn't look like the clinical business model would support that headcount with the specimen volumes advertised there. Next thing you know, research funding is slashed and now you have hundreds of research-oriented pathologists looking for work...

Again, could be a long-term benefit, but I seriously doubt that the solution of "cut our federal funding" would have any tangible short term or medium term benefit to anyone's job security or job hunting prospects.

FWIW- rollwithit is not a pathologist. Maybe he/she is a business type working for a corporate lab outfit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tissue issue
rollwithit- You have stated you are not a pathologist. What is your specialty?

This was his/her response:
Calling out bull****.

FWIW- rollwithit is not a pathologist. Maybe he/she is a business type working for a corporate lab outfit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tissue issue
rollwithit- You have stated you are not a pathologist. What is your specialty?

This was his/her response:
Calling out bull****.

Haha..you busted me. No, I'm not in a corporate lab outfit nor am I involved in academia, so I'm definitely making speculation and conjecture.

Again, what would be the short term benefits of asking your federal funding to be cut? That's a big boat to start rocking. A common response to the "how do we solve the oversupply problem" is cutting residency slots. That's fine, I just want to see if those folks have thought it through completely. I doubt it's reasonable to expect that you can cut back the resident training portion of academia and not expect other things to be affected besides total number of trainees entering the workforce in any given year.

Haha..you busted me. No, I'm not in a corporate lab outfit nor am I involved in academia, so I'm definitely making speculation and conjecture.

Again, what would be the short term benefits of asking your federal funding to be cut? That's a big boat to start rocking. A common response to the "how do we solve the oversupply problem" is cutting residency slots. That's fine, I just want to see if those folks have thought it through completely. I doubt it's reasonable to expect that you can cut back the resident training portion of academia and not expect other things to be affected besides total number of trainees entering the workforce in any given year.

So who are you and why are you interested in posting on a pathology forum?

So who are you and why are you interested in posting on a pathology forum?

Oh, come on. You guys/gals let the condescending radiologist spew passive aggressive crap about pathology every other week. Do I need to fill out an application? What's unreasonable about the questions I asked? They aren't loaded and don't even have to specifically relate to pathology. It can affect any specialty.

But since you ask, I have pathologist friends and their profession interests me. I perused here out of curiosity years ago and the dialogue between the "sky is falling" and "all is well" crowds sucked me in. I only post on the topics affecting macro-level concerns or things that may actually transcend specialties. I'll quit posting on this public forum if my presence is distracting. Although, I'll be a little offended considering some of the extreme personalities that contribute here...

No, not distracting. Just sort of surprised. Didn't think our stuff would be interesting to someone not involved. I have no interest in reading the ob-gyn forum, for example. But to each his/her own, eh? Nothing unreasonable about your posts - didn't mean to come across mad in my prior post. Just curious, like I said.

Like the gallows humor- definitely useful in our specialty. That is quite the ironic scenario.

Four different graduating fellows from the local university program have called me in the past 2 weeks looking for jobs. They say they can't find anything local. I'm not surprised. I don't hear of anyone looking for another pathologist right now.

Which programs do you consider "top"? Do you think a person form one of those "top" programs really has an edge over someone who has been networking in the area all through residency/fellowship?

Which programs do you consider "top"? Do you think a person form one of those "top" programs really has an edge over someone who has been networking in the area all through residency/fellowship?

There are numerous threads on this topic, as it's a common theme topics tend to devolve into. Can we please try to keep this one to the specific question at hand, as this is interesting and useful information?

Sure, someone who has made a coordinated effort to network the particular region around where they're doing residency will have the best luck in a job search. But that assumes the resident has done that networking, while many really don't until it's time to look for a job. And that assumes there are jobs in that geographic area. I would bet that outside the local geographic area the CV and where someone does residency/fellowship do come into play. If you're interviewing candidates, none of whom you know directly, why wouldn't you take into consideration the quality of their training program?

It matters to some degree, but in my experience, it's who you know that matters A LOT more. Path is a rather small community and most of the jobs that I have come across are by word of mouth.

At any rate, once you get your job (wherever it may be), the goal will be, of course, to keep it...

applied every state except Alaska & Hawaii

AP/CP plus 1 fellowship (finishing cyto)

made ~20 cold-calls, none fruitful but very helpful.
applied to numerous on PathOutlines & CAP job listing page, as well as flipping through journals (EG. archives, modern path, etc).
worked every angle i had with anyone having anything to do with pathology.

3 live interviews
3 phone interviews
2 invites I turned down

(3 live were from connections, 3 phone were from PathOutlines, 2 inviites were from PathOutlines also)

all private.
all 2-3 yr partnership tracks.
2/3 midwest, 1/3 east coast.

salaries ranged from 175-to-325 starting to low300s-to-mid500s partner.

i didn't sit on my ***** or expect something to just fall into my lap. i networked (for the better part of a decade), did my homework, and put myself in a good position. i didn't brown nose, i didn't have a golden ticket recommendation letter/phone call. i marketed myself well and i worked for it.
it is possible. and being normal, collegial and hard-working helps.

Last edited:
applied every state except Alaska & Hawaii

AP/CP plus 1 fellowship (finishing cyto)

made ~20 cold-calls, none fruitful but very helpful.
applied to numerous on PathOutlines & CAP job listing page, as well as flipping through journals (EG. archives, modern path, etc).
worked every angle i had with anyone having anything to do with pathology.

3 live interviews
3 phone interviews
2 invites I turned down

(3 live were from connections, 3 phone were from PathOutlines, 2 inviites were from PathOutlines also)

all private.
all 2-3 yr partnership tracks.
2/3 midwest, 1/3 east coast.

salaries ranged from 175-to-325 starting to low300s-to-mid500s partner.

i didn't sit on my ***** or expect something to just fall into my lap. i networked (for the better part of a decade), did my homework, and put myself in a good position. i didn't brown nose, i didn't have a golden ticket recommendation letter/phone call. i marketed myself well and i worked for it.
it is possible. and being normal, collegial and hard-working helps.

So how many offers did you get?

Can some of you talk about what you did specifically to network and reach out to find good contacts? I realize there is an entire industry, books, etc dedicated to this topic and I am sure most of the tips are relevant across all professions. But I am just wondering what one can do as a young pathology resident starting out?

I worked with a Pathologist who said you should start studying for boards on Day 1 of residency and it sounds like you need to do the same with networking. Is it simply a matter of trying to keep contact from other docs you worked with at conferences, committees, etc? Any pratical tips would be great.

Can some of you talk about what you did specifically to network and reach out to find good contacts? I realize there is an entire industry, books, etc dedicated to this topic and I am sure most of the tips are relevant across all professions. But I am just wondering what one can do as a young pathology resident starting out?

I worked with a Pathologist who said you should start studying for boards on Day 1 of residency and it sounds like you need to do the same with networking. Is it simply a matter of trying to keep contact from other docs you worked with at conferences, committees, etc? Any pratical tips would be great.

I went to a small med school that didn't have a pathology department, so consequently my first exposure to (and first rotation in) pathology was with the local hospital pathologists who were a private group. After deciding on path, I made a point to stick my head in the lab often. I became friends with the techs and pathologists and we'd frequently grab lunch together in the doctors dining area, and they all became mentors, more or less. I've kept in touch with them as well since being in residency (in another state).

Additionally, my father is a physician (non-pathologist) but had a friend who was a private practice pathologist, and he has been another contact that I made before residency.

Ultimately I've decided on forensics, so I probably won't be utilizing my contacts in the future for a job. It was nice to be able to take solace in the fact that I had contacts even before starting residency though.

Whenever you see someone you don't know, introduce yourself. Whenever you go to a talk at a conference introduce yourself to the speakers. Whenever someone smiles at you or acknowledges you're there.. introduce yourself. Tell them where you train, what you're interested in.. what you were stimulated by in their talk. If they weren't talking ask them where they are, how do they like it... etc. (Also work hard and actually be good, get a few posters/papers out so you have something to relate to what you just learned from them or what other people do.)

The discussion about what is or is not a "top" program has been had many times on this forum. There are "top" places in every part of the country- all you need to do is look around and ask faculty members their impressions. These are mostly founded on reputation and famous faculty, but this is also a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Anyway, as you your second question- it is impossible to say. Everyone is unique, with different strengths and weaknesses. Unlike others, I would say EVERYTHING matters. how much so depends on not just you but also who is interviewing you. With all things being equal, going to a "top" place is always better than a no-name place. But things are NEVER "all" equal. People from no-name places land great jobs all the time. However, I would say that people from "top" places rarely (if ever) go unemployed. They seem to have more opportunities, through networking or just because of the CV factor. Don't forget people from top places end up around the country and serve as a national network, whereas this may not hold true for no-name places.

Whenever you see someone you don't know, introduce yourself. Whenever you go to a talk at a conference introduce yourself to the speakers. Whenever someone smiles at you or acknowledges you're there.. introduce yourself. Tell them where you train, what you're interested in.. what you were stimulated by in their talk. If they weren't talking ask them where they are, how do they like it... etc. (Also work hard and actually be good, get a few posters/papers out so you have something to relate to what you just learned from them or what other people do.)

:thumbup:

The whole networking thing can be daunting in concept, but in practice it's doing a lot of the little things all the time. Someone else mentioned their intradepartmental networking -- something as simple as eating with attendings, techs, and senior residents, etc. can help in the long run. You don't have to be best buds, but you need basic professional respect and at least some social interaction. Attend every conference you can get away with, and introducing yourself to the speakers and asking some simple question is a nice start. Those things start leading to exchanges of email, lunch, etc. Everything builds over time. It only takes one of those 100 introductions to become something.

I met some of my contacts at a CAP meeting at a bar in the hotel. People who do 3 fellowships and can't get a job are looking in the wrong areas or can't communicate effectively. By the way anyone ever stop to think how much MOC that would be to keep up 3 fellowships and AP/CP? God its not worth it.

My job was strictly by word of mouth through a resident in my program (thank god I didn't piss her off). So words to the wise: The toes you step on today may be connected to the rears you have to kiss tomorrow.

I agree the job market is dim despite what the professional organizations say. They have yet to effectively press legislation about Pod labs and this is one of the big threats to any pathology group.

Or, alternatively, the hand you give in the gross room, teaching you do for even the newer residents, drink you buy, lunch you share, simple introduction you offer, etc. today could be the phone call or email about a job you get tomorrow.

For those of you who are shy and know it, don't be afraid to glom on to someone gregarious. I'm probably in between, depending on the day, but know I can get socially lazy too. But particularly at conferences I make it a point not to turn down lunch, drink, etc. offers, and almost always I run into one or two people I know who are gregarious and/or otherwise seem to know a lot of people, and thinking back there are a TON of folks I probably would not know today were it not for hanging around with them. Of course, you still need to be sociable once the introductions are made and it still ultimately boils down to -you-.

For those of you who are shy and know it, don't be afraid to glom on to someone gregarious. I'm probably in between, depending on the day, but know I can get socially lazy too. But particularly at conferences I make it a point not to turn down lunch, drink, etc. offers, and almost always I run into one or two people I know who are gregarious and/or otherwise seem to know a lot of people, and thinking back there are a TON of folks I probably would not know today were it not for hanging around with them. Of course, you still need to be sociable once the introductions are made and it still ultimately boils down to -you-.

Ditto that.

Of the fellows at (2) institutions that I know who have applied this year 5/6 have jobs lined up at this point in time.

My experience in the market, FWIW.

Training:
-- AP/CP (boarded), surgpath, and hemepath

Type of jobs applied to:
-- Academic and community practice

Methods:
-- academic jobs primarily via Pathologyoutlines and American Society for Hematopathology websites; hemepath fellowship connections helped get me interviews at the academic places.
-- community practice jobs via my residency/fellowship connections.

Interviews (in-person only):
-- 7 (4 community practice, 3 academic)
-- timeline for interviews was mid-December to late January

Geography:
-- West of Colorado, with the odd interview on the East coast.

Jobs:
-- Community practice jobs: all were general surg path, one also wanted a hemepath person; 2 were employee-type positions; the other (2) were partnership track (3-5 years). Starting salary ranged from $160-$285K/year, with partner-level salary hitting ~$350K at one and $400K+ at another. Vacation varied from 3-12 weeks/year.

-- Academic jobs: all were mix of general surg path + hemepath with varying proportions. Salary and benefits are what you'd typically expect in academics (crappy).

End result:
-- Number of offers: 2 (1 community practice, 1 academic)
-- Number of rejections: 2
-- Number that I didn't wait around for after getting my desired position: 3

Last edited:
That sounds like a thorough search. Way to go.

Out of curiosity was the private group with a partner salary of 350k really a partnership (I.e. was the the group owned by ameripath or were there unequal levels of partnership) because 350k means you got a lot down time even with 12 weeks off.

Of the fellows at (2) institutions that I know who have applied this year 5/6 have jobs lined up at this point in time.

My experience in the market, FWIW.

Training:
-- AP/CP (boarded), surgpath, and hemepath

Type of jobs applied to:
-- Academic and community practice

Methods:
-- academic jobs primarily via Pathologyoutlines and American Society for Hematopathology websites; hemepath fellowship connections helped get me interviews at the academic places.
-- community practice jobs via my residency/fellowship connections.

Interviews (in-person only):
-- 7 (4 community practice, 3 academic)
-- timeline for interviews was mid-December to late January

Geography:
-- West of Colorado, with the odd interview on the East coast.

Jobs:
-- Community practice jobs: all were general surg path, one also wanted a hemepath person; 2 were employee-type positions; the other (2) were partnership track (3-5 years). Starting salary ranged from $160-$285K/year, with partner-level salary hitting ~$350K at one and $400K+ at another. Vacation varied from 3-12 weeks/year.

-- Academic jobs: all were mix of general surg path + hemepath with varying proportions. Salary and benefits are what you'd typically expect in academics (crappy).

End result:
-- Number of offers: 2 (1 community practice, 1 academic)
-- Number of rejections: 2
-- Number that I didn't wait around for after getting my desired position: 3