What program has Happy OB Residents?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sba899

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a good program where the residents are happy and friendly. I love OB/Gyn, but at my school there are so many bitter woman that make you miserable. I am not the most competitive. Only a 200 on Step 1. Would like to live in a big city. Chicago, Boston, NYC, Houston, anywhere in Cali. Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

My OB rotation was at Good Sam Hospital in Phoenix, AZ. I was so delighted to see how fun, happy, chummy and supportive the residents were of one another - honestly, happier than any other resident groups I've met in any other specialty. It's a community program - they take 7 interns a year. Very good numbers and teaching in OB, particularly high risk. Again, I was just floored at how happy everyone was, especially considering how much you hear about bitter, nasty, downright ugly residents in OB.

This is a collective effort from 2 interns @ Baystate/Tufts....we are happy and we hope you come visit us!!! Feel free to ask any questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
we're really happy at OHSU! we have a great time together...both socially and at work. lots of energetic peeps who love what they do. check us out!

Hi everyone,

Our residents have a lot of fun with each other -- all residents were recently given a friday off (the attendings covered L&D and GYN at the hospitals) while we went sailing in the inner harbor ... as part of a resident "bonding" experience.. :) it was great to get that time off to just talk and get to know each other better :) Our intern class has a tradition of "wednesday nights out" which really helps break up the week..

Good luck with ERAS :) I know our secretary (she is awesome) is getting everything ready for your submissions ...
we look forward to meeting you at University of Maryland Medical Center.

take care!

Hi everyone,

Our residents have a lot of fun with each other -- all residents were recently given a friday off (the attendings covered L&D and GYN at the hospitals) while we went sailing in the inner harbor ... as part of a resident "bonding" experience.. :) it was great to get that time off to just talk and get to know each other better :) Our intern class has a tradition of "wednesday nights out" which really helps break up the week..

Good luck with ERAS :) I know our secretary (she is awesome) is getting everything ready for your submissions ...
we look forward to meeting you at University of Maryland Medical Center.

take care!
Thanks for the info. Does your program have any cut off on step 1 and step 2 scores. It sounds like your really happy.
Thanks

Hi. I am a very interested in OB and would also like to know where people are happy in residency, particularly in the big cities. Also, is the dynamic of how OB/GYN is practiced different with respect to the west coaast and east coast? If so, how?

Come on residents, don't you want to advertise your program? OR is it really true that happy OB resdients is an oxymoron??

I am very happy at the University of Kentucky. We work hard, but we all work well together. We have great faculty that love to teach and keep us involved. I could go on and on, but you can check us out at:

http://www.mc.uky.edu/obg

We've already started getting applications from ERAS, there's still plenty of time to apply and hopefully come for an interview.

Good luck!!

Advice:
I would apply to a variety of programs in areas of your liking community as well as university based. Look to see how many residents are able to meet with you. If they provide a social hour prior to the interview. You can even ask these questions before you apply. The residency is tough-- a larger program usually has less hours thus happier rsidents but this is not always true. Ask in interviews about the staff and how well respected residents are. To be truely happy you need to be in a mutually respectful situation.
Programs that get together with nurses and each other off site usually are pretty happy....

Good luck feel free to email me
Diane

Are OB residents ever happy? I wouldn't know.

LOL
(Just kidding - just keep coming down for my ER consults and you can be as crabby as you want.)

The Mish

Come on residents, don't you want to advertise your program? OR is it really true that happy OB resdients is an oxymoron??

I thought that people have been advertising their program? I know that I have and At your cervix and snowinter had mentioned the programs they are at. So, I am happy ob/gyn resident @ Baystate/Tufts program in Springfield, Ma. If anyone has any Q's just ask away!

Yes, thank you so much flea girl and others who adverised their programs. I was just hoping for more people to display their happiness. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Great program with excellent numbers, you won't get more procedures any where else. Residents get along well and have great relationship with attendings with lots of extrahospital activities.

A very good large community program affiliated with Michigan State which can place residents into fellowships (gyn onc, uro gyn, and mfm in the last two years) or to private practice. Two chiefs applying to REI this year.

Some may see Grand Rapids Michigan as a down side but once you are here you will see it is a vibrant growing community. Cheap cost of living and great for families (It is okay to have kids during residency, 8 residents per year so can easily cover)

I'm very happy at Stony Brook on Long Island ~ we have a great group of residents who really get along fabulously! It says something when we want to hang out with each other when we're not at work! Plus, we get great training in both Ob and Gyn. I'm a second year now, so if anyone has any questions, let me know!

Long Island's not "big city", but we serve the entire Suffolk County and are only 45 minutes from NYC!

I am very happy at the University of Kentucky. We work hard, but we all work well together. We have great faculty that love to teach and keep us involved. I could go on and on, but you can check us out at:

http://www.mc.uky.edu/obg

We've already started getting applications from ERAS, there's still plenty of time to apply and hopefully come for an interview.

Good luck!!

when do you guys send out your invites? i'm hoping i get one!

I, too, am extremely happy with my choice of residency. Trihealth is a merged community program between two hospitals (Good Samaritan and Bethesda North). We recruit 8 residents per year.

Why do I think this is such a great place?

1. Huge surgical numbers (It is the norm to graduate with 70 to 80+ vag hysts, for example, and these are only the ones as primary surgeon)
2. Huge delivery numbers (Good Sam alone is on pace for 7000+ deliveries this year, about 2500 of which are clinic cases, plus we do all the perinatal deliveries and all c-sections... I've already logged over 700 deliveries in a little over 2 years)
3. Great attending support with excellent comraderie. Most all attendings buy us dinner when on call, and not just pizza, we're talking Longhorn, PF Chang's, etc. Some host parties for us. And, because we know them all so well, they let us do their surgical cases for them.
4. Dedicated daytime attending - he is a former resident of the program and his sole job is to be our weekday attending and advocate.
5. Urogyn fellowship with nationally known leader (M. Karram) with fellows that routinely let you do the case, because they are so stinkin' busy they are comfortable giving many cases up so they can teach you.
6. Plans to start a MFM fellowship within next 1 to 3 years (in proces). Our perinatal service is extremely busy with 300 to 400 transports per year from as far as 3 states away. Average census on the preterm floor is 20 to 25.
7. Affiliation with one of only three fetal surgery centers in the country (Coop between Children's Cincy, Good Sam, and U of Cincinnati) with a lot of exposure to the maternal care and the opportunity to observe in utero surgery
8. Free Healthcare. No joke. No premium coming out of your pay check every month. No copays within the hospital system. Free prescriptions. Coverage for your spouse and kids is included. Dental and Eye very cheap.
9. Other freebies: Free parking, free meals, many free books, step 3 paid for, FCVS application paid for, generous conference allowance each year, free white coats with laundering, free green journal, free palm, you get the idea.
10. Night float system for years 1 and 2, may be added in the future for years 3 and 4
11. Good vacation with 3 weeks in year 1 and 4 weeks every year thereafter with a bonus week in year 4 where all the chiefs go to Hawaii courtesy of the program director to attend his conference and get some serious beach time.
12. Aren't you bored yet?! ;)

Seriously, I am very happy with my choice and would choose it again. During your search consider some "community" programs, they are hidden gems. It was my first choice over some big name university programs and talking to friends other places, I definitely made the right choice for me. My advice? When you are interviewing, trust your gut. You will know which place is right for you, and for the most part, the match works. Enjoy the process. Residency interviews are worlds apart from medical school, because usually you are in the drivers seat.

Feel free to PM me with any questions.

:) GoodSamOB
PGY-3

I, too, am extremely happy with my choice of residency. Trihealth is a merged community program between two hospitals (Good Samaritan and Bethesda North). We recruit 8 residents per year.

1. Huge surgical numbers (It is the norm to graduate with 70 to 80+ vag hysts, for example, and these are only the ones as primary surgeon)
2. Huge delivery numbers (Good Sam alone is on pace for 7000+ deliveries this year, about 2500 of which are clinic cases, plus we do all the perinatal deliveries and all c-sections... I've already logged over 700 deliveries in a little over 2 years)
3. Great attending support with excellent comraderie. Most all attendings buy us dinner when on call, and not just pizza, we're talking Longhorn, PF Chang's, etc. Some host parties for us. And, because we know them all so well, they let us do their surgical cases for them.
4. Dedicated daytime attending - he is a former resident of the program and his sole job is to be our weekday attending and advocate.
5. Urogyn fellowship with nationally known leader (M. Karram) with fellows that routinely let you do the case, because they are so stinkin' busy they are comfortable giving many cases up so they can teach you.
6. Plans to start a MFM fellowship within next 1 to 3 years (in proces). Our perinatal service is extremely busy with 300 to 400 transports per year from as far as 3 states away. Average census on the preterm floor is 20 to 25.
7. Affiliation with one of only three fetal surgery centers in the country (Coop between Children's Cincy, Good Sam, and U of Cincinnati) with a lot of exposure to the maternal care and the opportunity to observe in utero surgery
8. Free Healthcare. No joke. No premium coming out of your pay check every month. No copays within the hospital system. Free prescriptions. Coverage for your spouse and kids is included. Dental and Eye very cheap.
9. Other freebies: Free parking, free meals, many free books, step 3 paid for, FCVS application paid for, generous conference allowance each year, free white coats with laundering, free green journal, free palm, you get the idea.
10. Night float system for years 1 and 2, may be added in the future for years 3 and 4
11. Good vacation with 3 weeks in year 1 and 4 weeks every year thereafter with a bonus week in year 4 where all the chiefs go to Hawaii courtesy of the program director to attend his conference and get some serious beach time.

Seriously, I am very happy with my choice and would choose it again. During your search consider some "community" programs, they are hidden gems. It was my first choice over some big name university programs and talking to friends other places, I definitely made the right choice for me. My advice? When you are interviewing, trust your gut. You will know which place is right for you, and for the most part, the match works. Enjoy the process. Residency interviews are worlds apart from medical school, because usually you are in the drivers seat.

PGY-3
This sounds wonderful. But I don't know if I can handle the cold weather. I am pretty skinny and come from a tropical climate. But again, this sounds good. Lot's of freebees. How competitive is it? I'm a pretty mediocre student with midiocre scores.

You pose a wise question. Hate to sound lame but "happiness" is a very individual term.

Happiness in Ob Gyn residency usually means people feel valued and respected and that their investment of 4 years into the training is rewarded with the career they want. You may work longer hours but do so on a true team.

But some folks find happiness in other ways (eg want to move through with less time even if it means less espirit du corps or less long-term reward).

Fortunately, OB Gyn programs also vary. So look close and choose a program that meets your personal definition.

Our residents, attendings, and nurses are happy.

http://www.scvmcobgyn.org/

I'm looking for a good program where the residents are happy and friendly. I love OB/Gyn, but at my school there are so many bitter woman that make you miserable. I am not the most competitive. Only a 200 on Step 1. Would like to live in a big city. Chicago, Boston, NYC, Houston, anywhere in Cali. Any suggestions?

Magee is amazing! We have an incredible program with 35 equally impressive residents to match. Pittsburgh is not the greatest city ever but most of us like it well enough. You cannot beat this program, huge volume, nationally renowned faculty in MFM, Urogyn, MIS, ONC, Fam Planning, Genetics, U/S....

Its great, we get along and hang out both in and out of the hospital all the time, if you want to check it out for yourself come to one of our pre-interview socials, they are the bomb and preparations are already underway for this years parties :D :D

I'm so happy to hear that, formosa06! Pitt is definitely one of the programs at the top of my list. I'm really hoping to hear about an interview from them in the coming weeks :oops:

*Bitter rant*

Washington Hospital Center here. We have a strong core of residents here as well. Our program has gone through alot of changes the last 2-3 years, moving toward the Academic realm and away from community. Here are some points to help you guys out:

1. We are high volume, especially since the general hospitals (Columbia Women's and DC General) closed a few years ago.

2. The residents manage Staff and Private patients including Kaiser which makes up a 1/3 of our deliveries.

3. On average we have 300-400 deliveries a month, personally I finished my 1st year with 210 vaginal deliveries, 110 C/S...

4. The strengths of the non-OB portion of program are heavy Gyn Onc service, great gyn surgery numbers. Weaknesses are REI lectures/material although the REI rotation we do at Walter Reed is one of the best I've ever experienced.

5. The cons here are the work load your first 6 months. Its a high volume environment and takes a little while to get used to. Our interns do great, but I do fore-warn everyone who interviews here about this fact in case its not their cup of tea.

6. There is night float for OB (3rd year and 1st year with a night float cheif). We're starting a resident retreat this year where the staff covers the hospital for the weekend.

7. If you like teaching, then you'll love the USHUS medical students who rotate with us. A great group and willing to learn.

Hope this helps. Best of luck to all of you on the interview trail~

GD

I'm at UW in Seattle and I love it. I obviously have nothing to compare it to but I think all of our residents are great and supportive of eachother. I am very excited to be here and if anyone is considering coming here and has questions feel free to send me a message.

PGY-3

This is all true. I'm a psych resident in texas and thus have no vested interest in promoting any ob program, but I rotated at B-North as a med student at U of Cincinnati. The residents there are laid-back, fun, and happy, but also get a lot of experience and teaching. While the other med students were hating life at other sites, I actually counted this rotation among my favorites.

(And no, I don't have so little to do that I kill time by reading the ob board, but someone linked to this thead from the general residency forum :) )

We have a whole group of happy residents at Winnie Palmer Hospital in Orlando Florida (Orlando Regional Healthcare System).
We are busy, we work hard, but we all get along well and work well together. Our program is a "community" program but is more of a transitional state between community and university. We do about 13,000 deliveries a year (expected to hit 15,000 this fiscal year). We have a brand new hospital that looks and feels more like a 4 star hotel, free food, free parking and we get to live in an awesome city.

If you would like to know more about us just message me.

Staraya
PGY 2