What ONE book

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shantster

Eye protection!
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there's a few threads floating around with book suggestions, but I'm trying to find a single book rather than a list of books to purchase. I'm doing my intern year now and was told by my advisor that I should start reading for next year in my spare time so I'm looking for a good basic book. If there was one single book that would be the best foundation to go over prior to starting PGY-2, which one would you all recommend?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm assuming you're going into PM&R, so in that case PM&R Secrets is a good one to cover the basics of most aspects of the field while providing some context.

I'm assuming you're going into PM&R, so in that case PM&R Secrets is a good one to cover the basics of most aspects of the field while providing some context.

Thanks for the suggestion. I am actually looking for one good broad textbook rather than a review book, but I'll keep that in mind for next year. Is Braddom considered the best one out there?

Members don't see this ad :)
Braddom or DeLisa - either will work to get the ball rolling

DeLisa is available online through most medical university libraries so look there first.

I liked Braddom. I thought it was easily readable and gave a nice basis for a number of topics in PMR that you will see. I never looked through DeLisa so can't comment. Braddom has an online component that I didn't use, though some people I know liked it.

I would check with your program about funding for books. When I started my G2 year we got "x" amount for books/educational material. A new copy of Braddom or Delisa is going to be expensive for most residents. Thus if you can get an advance or have them pay earlier for it that would be nice. Also if your intern place has a medical library there is a small chance they might have a copy, or if PMR is at your internship there may be an attending that would let you copy chapters for studying, thus you could wait to make the purchase when the program will pony up for it, and when there might be a new edition/other book available.

You might want to consider just reading the "essential articles in PMR" that are floating around. I think there is a sticky here, and you can grab them from the AAP website. Most of the texts are based on articles anyway. Braddom and DeLisa are a bit bulky to lug around, thus throwing pdfs of the essential articles on to your phone/reader/email can be a bit easier.