PM&R can now open up new ACGME pain fellowships even if one already exists at the same institution

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drg123

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

This looks like a big deal.

What do you all think?

I imagine the internal politics and turf wars inside institutions might be a bit messy, but overall, this looks like a win.

What the curriculum of ACGME PM&R pain fellowships looks like is unclear. Will there changes there as well?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
This will undeniably cause turf wars...but PM&R definitely should have a larger role in pain fellowships.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wonder how many of the 85ish pm&r programs will take advantage of this

Or the 100 psych or neuro programs or for that matter family practice as proposed.

This is just lazy, short sided and poor training. If your program can’t find neuro/gas/psych they can stick with “spine”

Or the 100 psych or neuro programs or for that matter family practice as proposed.

This is just lazy, short sided and poor training. If your program can’t find neuro/gas/psych they can stick with “spine”

We're going back to "separate but equal" status. Why can't we all get along?

Reactions: 1 user
programs should truly be multi-disclipinary. not housed in fiefdoms. Pain is more than MSK/spine etc

as a Physiatrist, there was a lot more for me to learn from anesthesiology attendings (non PMR attendings in general)

where I did my pain fellowship, the pmr dept ran a "spine fellowship" and also a msk and separate sports fellowship. the spine fellowship trained the docs to do mostly bread and butter spine procedures. they didn't manage opioids, acute pain, implants, cancer pain, palliative, etc etc in fact, I think by the time I was leaving they stopped performing cervical ESI due to a few bad complications.

perhaps if anesthesiologists came and did PMR ran pain fellowship that would help round them out. but realistically these programs need to be well-rounded to hit all the bases in 12 months. I wouldn't want to, but I feel like I could have had another 2-3 months of anesthesiology oriented pain just to round out my education.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users