What is good about the match?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How many of those matched? Just curious.

Sorry for the confusion, I meant graduation from the basic sciences, not from ms. Most of us in my class are between ending 3rd year or half way through 4th year.

However, the data then is even difficult to quantify, mainly because if a student doesn't pass the CBSSA exam, they can't take the Step 1, and can only re-take the CBSSA after three months. A student has to pass the CBSSA exam, before taking S1. This automatically pushes you back three months behind from students who initially passed the exit exam. In addition, administration is pretty lenient if a student hasn't taken S1 by three months of passing the CBSSA. Due to personal reasons, I didn't take my S1 6 months until passing my CBSSA, because of certain family issues. That pushed me back and as a result I'll be matching in 2016, instead of the original 2015 match date.

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry for the confusion, I meant graduation from the basic sciences, not from ms. Most of us in my class are between ending 3rd year or half way through 4th year.

However, the data then is even difficult to quantify, mainly because if a student doesn't pass the CBSSA exam, they can't take the Step 1, and can only re-take the CBSSA after three months. A student has to pass the CBSSA exam, before taking S1. This automatically pushes you back three months behind from students who initially passed the exit exam. In addition, administration is pretty lenient if a student hasn't taken S1 by three months of passing the CBSSA. Due to personal reasons, I didn't take my S1 6 months until passing my CBSSA, because of certain family issues. That pushed me back and as a result I'll be matching in 2016, instead of the original 2015 match date.

Whats your tuition like? I know a lot of general stuff about the Caribbean due to a classmate who had a sibling at one, but not that many specifics. Any other specific pieces of info you think would be interested to share about your experience?

Whats your tuition like? I know a lot of general stuff about the Caribbean due to a classmate who had a sibling at one, but not that many specifics. Any other specific pieces of info you think would be interested to share about your experience?

Tuition was just a little over $10,000/semester = >$30,000/yr, since we go to school year round. We're given two weeks break between each of the semesters. Not really sure what else to add. If anybody has any questions, I'll be more than happy to answer.

Why not have a multi-step exam that is timely, rather than putting everything on Step 1? That way, one's medical knowledge is judged based on a trend rather than on one exam. Maybe the NBME shelf exams could be given more weight than the step 1? Something like that.

I am Canadian and I will say without a doubt that I wish we had an objective scoring system here. All schools are PF. There are no ways, aside from doing crappy research and schmoozing up to people, that one can really set themselves apart. Some schools don't even have programs in certain fields. For instance, if you're from NFLD and go to MUN, then your chances of getting derm are severely lessened because there is no local derm department. Since schmoozing is the name of the game, and since time is limited, flights are expensive, and there are so many psychiatry weeks that must be done, that applicant can't really set themselves apart as well as the ones that went to schools with dermpartments.

Plus, having an objective scoring system can help you figure out the *****s in an objective way. I've taught medical students that were just...no. Were there a Canadian USMLE they'd probably fail.

As for the Carib, if you score less than stellar there on step 1 its because of 1. a bad day 2. not taking the Carib stigma seriously enough, thus slacking off or 3. not being that bright. The bar is raised far higher for the Caribs and that is warranted. A good score is a way to say to residency programs that the domestic schools made a mistake by not admitting that student stateside.